Electrical question--help !

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Default Electrical problem.

A bad connection at one switch can open the connections to circuits that run after it. If the bad switch is between the circuit breaker and the dead switch then the dead switch will not get power.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Switches do go bad. If there is a crackling sound when you turn the switch on and off, it is likely a bad switch. But, a bad switch will normally not not affect other lights nearby, because you normally run a separate switch circuit from the light fixture to the switch for each light fixture. That is why I think either the circuit breaker or a GFI outlet has tripped. Just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:56 AM

I have worked in the electrical business for many years. In todays construction industry you have people wiring houses who work under a licensed electrician. They are not necessarily electricians by training. To save time a lot of contractors use the push-in type connection for outlets and switches instead of using the screw and wire connection, because it is faster. The push-in connection seems to fail more often. Hire someone who knows what they are doing. I am sure there is someone who can help you who may be a retired electrician or a savy home handyman.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:09 AM

#1, that crackling sound is electricity jumping around your switch...bad bad bad
#2, you are lucky your house has not suffered from a sever fire.
#3. Electricity is DANGEROUS!! It can kill you.
#4. There should be a ground fault leading to the switch, CHECk iT
#1, yes #1, kill the power to the bathroom! Take the plate off (if you are comfortable) and change the saitch OR call an electrician
Old 10-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Are arc fault interrupters a requirement in Florida?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Location: Hunsville, AL/Pittsford,NY/Bedford, NH/Castle Rock, CO, Lawndale&Ft MacArthur,CA/Alexandria,VA etc

Handyman can do it if experienced
Old 10-04-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Very easy. Go to this website:

Licensing Portal - License Search

Note: I think the term "master electrician" is a trade designation, not a legal term. I would be more concerned that they have the proper state license to perform the work they are doing.
Florida has four types of licenses for electricians: Certified Electrician (EC); Registered Electrician (ER); Certified Electrical Specialty Contractor (ES); and Registered Electrical Specialty Contractor (ET). The difference between a certified contractor and a registered contractor is that the certified contractor can work anywhere in the state of Florida, where the registered contractor is limited to the counties or local municipalities where they hold a local license, in Michigan there are different types of electrical licenses journeyman and master with different testing and qualifications required for each.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

I'm not sure if this is because these homes were built with substandard materials or workmen but I had a "humming" in one of my outlets that needed to be repaired by an electrician. Several outlets over time have stopped working. This never happened at any other place I have lived.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:46 PM

You wrote..... Can a switch that goes out with broken wires (bathroom) also cause hall light not to work ?
Yes, it can, if the hallway switch gets it's power from the bathroom light switch. It sounds like either the bathroom switch is defective or there is a loose wire connection that feeds power to both switches.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:43 PM

If it's a single pole switch, (black wires to both screws on one side only) cut breaker, remove both wires and wire nut them together. Then turn breaker on. If your light goes on you have a bad switch. I did exactly this TODAY.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I'm not sure if this is because these homes were built with substandard materials or workmen but I had a "humming" in one of my outlets that needed to be repaired by an electrician. Several outlets over time have stopped working. This never happened at any other place I have lived.
Probably corroded from humidity over the years?.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:23 PM

change the sw with a heavy duty one the standard on is light duty type
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, light, bathroom, lights, hall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.