Electricians or Designers or DIYers? pendant? Help?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Electricians or Designers or DIYers? pendant? Help?

Whoops! I bumped this before I had even asked the question or proofed the thread title. I will be back in a few minutes with my question in a completed post.....wish I could change the thread title for clarification. Oh well, the iPad got away from me this morning and posted before I had even really started.

--------------
OK, I'm back. Here goes.......

We are replacing pendant lights that are over the bar counter. They are being replaced with different pendant lights.

Upon removal of the original pendants, we discovered that they had been hung with a can-light conversion.

The pendant conversion from the original can-lights had been done properly, but those pendants had a big canopy of about 7 inches which meant the canopy easily covered the 6 inch hole from the original can installed by the builder.

But now, I am updating with brand new pendants -- seemed so easy -- UNTIL the 5 inch canopy for the new pendants will not cover the 6 inch hole left from the original can-light conversion to the old pendants.

There are canopies galore available on lighting parts sites I have been searching, but 5 inches is the standard. Also every other pendant I have seen has a 5 inch canopy so choosing an entirely different one is not an option. Besides, I am happy with my choice, just not its 5 inch canopy.

Surely this has to be a common problem, considering the popularity of can-lights over counter bars and islands, later being converted to pendants.

I did find some plastic thing that claims to do the job, but it would never look right, even if painted.

I keep feeling like I am missing something. Where is there an easy, nice solution of manufactured metal canopies, of at least 6 inches (preferably more because I think even 6 inches could be marginal for a truly finished look) available in a variety of finishes to cover holes left by can-light conversion to pendants?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by Boomer; 06-26-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Look for Recessed Light Trim Rings, sold at Lowes, Home Depot and online.
Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

Would there be a possibility to use the old cover, paint it to match your new lights, and use it with the new lights?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

///

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-30-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,701 Times in 5,236 Posts

Have you tried to replace just the glass enclosure, instead of the entire canopy light? Or, you could just buy a new house.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you all for trying to help me.

I have looked at the trim kits for recessed lights but I don't think they will work because I want to keep the new canopy and have it fit flush against the ceiling like the old one does, for the design factor.

And to those who suggested painting the old canopy -- oh how I wish, I wish, I wish..... BUT it is a hideous blob, adorned with gruscht. That means replacing only the shade is not an option either.

Yesterday, Mr. Boomer brought home a big, ugly, plastic medallion from Lowe's. Practical? Certainly. But..........

And......retiredguy123 says I should just buy a new house. hmmmmm..........Oh, guy, that would never work because every time we do that, I find something to change. That's just what I do.

(My new pendants have Edison bulbs........Yeah, I know , trendy, but I like 'em. And I also know that somebody, someday, will buy this house and call my chosen pendant lights hideous and gruschty. That's just the circle of life.)

Anyway, thanks. -- I have not given up on solving this.

Boomer
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Sage

Boomer, can you include a picture of old and new lights? I did a quick search on Lowes.com and found a pendent light with an 8 inch ceiling adapter. This was simple bronze or brown, but you should be able to paint. I am sure that you have options, if you buy 3 lamps for parts, and throw away the excess. PS you might also want to look into LED bulbs, we love them, lots of light, and run a lot cooler then incandescent.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Boomer, can you include a picture of old and new lights? I did a quick search on Lowes.com and found a pendent light with an 8 inch ceiling adapter. This was simple bronze or brown, but you should be able to paint. I am sure that you have options, if you buy 3 lamps for parts, and throw away the excess. PS you might also want to look into LED bulbs, we love them, lots of light, and run a lot cooler then incandescent.
Hope this helps.
Thank you, VT, I think you might be onto a good idea.

I am on my iPad right now and I don't know how to link on this thing. My pendant lights are made by Quoizel and are online under the manufacturer. They are dark bronze with a very plain round canopy that measures 5.5 inches in diameter.

You are so right about those LED bulbs. That is what I am planning to use. I had not realized until last week that LEDs come in all kinds of designs now, beyond the squiggle. Turns out, I can get LED Edison bulbs, dimmable. The bulbs in these pendants are an intergal part of the design because they show through the glass shade. I was so happy to find how much is now available in LEDs. We use LEDs throughout the house in other lights.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Sage

Boomer, glad to help, I forgot, try Home depot also, both have several selection of pendant lamps.

Tags
diyers, designers, electricians, pendant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.