Faucets with pull out spray head

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts
Default Faucets with pull out spray head

While doing a recent garbage disposal project I decided to look at the pull out spray head on the kitchen sink. Over the years this had become hard to pull out and the tubing would get caught occasionally.

I found a good spray silicone based lubricant has worked wonders making the spray head easy to pull out. I did not want to use WD40 as it is petroleum based and I was concerned it might damage the rubber/plastic in the flexible tubing. Also once I got the spray head moving easily I noticed it was occasionally catching on the supply pipes. I tried several approaches to keep the weight away from these pipes, all of which worked the first pull and not of which worked after that, then I noticed if I put a quarter turn on the flexible line where it connects to the sink the problem was solved completely. The weight now goes between the drain line and the cold water supply line and does not get caught.
Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Thank You!! Love and use lots of your "help" suggestions and answers!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The metallic hose on ours sprung a leak - took us ages to find it - so we just replaced the whole faucet with a standard "non pull out" type as we rarely utilised that function. I do recall its snagging on the hot and cold stop-cocks, though!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

WD-40 is a solvent. It is not intended to be a lubricant.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:35 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Almost the same sequence of events. Had to replace a garbage disposal in a rental property. Found I also had a small leak in the pull out hose. Looked it up online for a Delta faucet and Lowe's showed they had 3 in stock. Went there to get it, but found zero. Did find one that was "universal" with about 10 different connections for each end to fit multiple faucets. Bought it and replaced the leaking hose and it works great.

Verdict is don't buy a new faucet just for a leaking hose. They are available and are much less expensive and easy to replace than a new faucet. If it had been my home I would have pulled it out past the leak, used a spring type cloths pin to hold it out past the leak so the drip was in the sink and ordered the correct one from Amazon or e-faucet for next day delivery. The Lowe's universal one was $22 but the Delta one on Amazon was $12. A lot less money and an easy replacement vs replacing the entire faucet.

Tinker, good tip for resolving the hose hanging up on the hot and cold supply lines. I will remember that one.

Tags
pull, spray, head, line, worked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.