Watering Flowers While on Vacation

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Default Watering Flowers While on Vacation

Does anyone know of a service provider that will care for plants while a person is on vacation?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhite1953 View Post
Does anyone know of a service provider that will care for plants while a person is on vacation?
Massey handles my irrigation. When I went on vacation they came out and set the irrigation in my flower garden to water every two days for 10 minutes at a time. Came back to find everything just fine, although the weeds had grown huge, and then Massey came back and reset to normal watering.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm guessing you mean indoor plants. A lot depends how long you are gone. If two weeks or less, you can get the watering bulbs. You could always place the pots in your landscaping. Between rain, the landscaping sprays and the lawn sprinklers, your pots should get enough water on a regular basis. Another alternative is to take them to a neighbor or friend. The problem with hiring someone is that it can get expensive if more that one visit a week and you really guarantee that they can come on a strict schedule unless they live nearby.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Sorry yes, the intent was to water indoor plants. The screened lanai has 60+ plants of various size and nature that require watering; the front outside has a wall of the house with a water fountain and a dozen or so more flowering plants that also require watering. Normal in-ground irrigation therefore will not meet the need. The timeframe is 8 days - so where do I investigate 'watering bulbs' ? thanks in advance ! Mark
Old 10-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I would find a friend or neighbor to do this and maybe you could return the favor in the future. Or you can pay a neighbor?? I have been involved doing both ways and it has worked out nicely
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Gold member
Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhite1953 View Post
Sorry yes, the intent was to water indoor plants. The screened lanai has 60+ plants of various size and nature that require watering; the front outside has a wall of the house with a water fountain and a dozen or so more flowering plants that also require watering. Normal in-ground irrigation therefore will not meet the need. The timeframe is 8 days - so where do I investigate 'watering bulbs' ? thanks in advance ! Mark
Sounds like you spend a lot of time and effort with your plants.

You mention watering bulbs. I assume that is a self watering device. For 60 plants it will be quite costly and you will need to store them for future use. There are many plans for such devices made from things such as soda bottles.

You say you will be gone for 8 days. I would expect, if you pull you plants together and perhaps control the sun they will be fine if you water them before you leave.

If, you have a neighbor do it for you be sure to provide and instruction sheet. We did if for a neighbor and fortunately I knew to look. One pot that they put on a wooden table before they left had a drainage hole but no dish to catch the water.

They did not want to intrude so would ask alternating neighbors. At a party, we both discovered that we had watered an artificial plant.
Closed Thread

Tags
vacation, care, plants, person, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.