garage door opener?

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage
Default garage door opener?

don't know if this is the place for this rather silly question but i have lived here two years and have never been able to figure out why my garage door opener has a little plus or minus sign on either side of the button which actually opens or closes the door. does anyone know what these buttons are supposed to do? they don't seem to do anything that i can see...am i missing something? just curious...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Default On ours

The plus sign opens the golf cart garage door and the minus sign opens up the regular large door.

From Liberty, MO
Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage
Default thanks!

since i don't have a golf cart garage i was never able to figure this out!! you have now finally assuaged my curiosity!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Speaking of garage door openers....my remotes, including the one next to the door, seem to work only intermittently. I have a garage vent fan that is plugged into the same outlet as the garage door opener. The vent fan has a remote feature. I think the vent fan and garage door remotes may be interfering with each other. No, it's not the batteries, I've changed them all. Any electrician types have an idea of what's going on?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

And our openers always misbehave when we change the batteries! New batteries mean they open our neighbor's garage door. Not the way to make friends!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Speaking of garage door openers....my remotes, including the one next to the door, seem to work only intermittently. I have a garage vent fan that is plugged into the same outlet as the garage door opener. The vent fan has a remote feature. I think the vent fan and garage door remotes may be interfering with each other. No, it's not the batteries, I've changed them all. Any electrician types have an idea of what's going on?
Well, we don't have a garage vent fan and our remotes and pad next to the door don't always seem to work either - yesterday I tried about 4 times to close the garage door using the pad next to the garage door, finally was able to use the remote in the golf car and it worked - doesn't always. Few weeks ago had to disconnect and close/open by hand for a couple of days, then raised it really hard on maybe the 3rd day and then it worked. Had the company out to install a keyless remote pad outside and they adjusted something, but the last problem (yesterday) was after that. Touchiest ones I've ever had, and I've had a few (and I'm not talking about glasses of wine).
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM

been installing garage doors for years the fan has no affect on the garage door.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Similar subject.......code keyless pads that go on garage doors, had one in Maine and loved it.....had to get it through a garage door company to purchase but wondered if anyone has found them at Home Depot or Lowes? Thx
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
been installing garage doors for years the fan has no affect on the garage door.
And new batteries opening our neighbor's door? to me that's spooky.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Gold member

Ours (GDO) is a RoMac MVP - never heard of it before - but that's what was installed 4-1/2 years ago in Sabal Chase when new. Called the company (the phone number is easily visible on the thing on the garage ceiling, and it was only about $65 installed - the part (keyless remote) was $40 plus, labor was $15 or $20 - and the guy who came out also adjusted it at no extra cost.

Ohioboy is not terribly handy - worth the price to us. I garden and paint, but I'm not terribly mechanical either. Usually by the time I have figured out the easy way, I've already struggled thru the hard way.

Of course, the god still doesn't work once in a while for unk reasons. (see earlier post) But, the remote seems to work fine (if I remember the code - another issue
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Also have the Romac MVP. I think I'll try replacing all the batteries again. If that doesn't work, I'll have to bite the bullet and call Romac.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Recently replaced my 20 yr old remote (sears) by ordering on line. Just had to copy dip switch settings from old to new. After a while even new batteries didn't work.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage

And now, after 4+ years, my garage door is doing weird things. At night, I close the door and switch the keypad to locked. Well, last night, I went into the garage to put some trash out and the door was open. This is the third time it has happened. There's the possibility that another's code and mine were similar at that moment, but the door was in the locked mode and shouldn't have opened. Heck I can't open it with our remote or the main control when it's locked....I have to unlock it. Not sure what's happening. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
And our openers always misbehave when we change the batteries! New batteries mean they open our neighbor's garage door. Not the way to make friends!
Remember the panicky woman in the commercial where her garage door kept banging into her car as the next door neighbor kept hitting the opener installed in his garage? Wish I could find the YouTube video of it, but I couldn't!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Remember the panicky woman in the commercial where her garage door kept banging into her car as the next door neighbor kept hitting the opener installed in his garage? Wish I could find the YouTube video of it, but I couldn't!
Hey skyguy - Is this the one you're looking for?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDrRl7d5ZA[/ame]

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.