Garage Doors open on their own

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Default Garage Doors open on their own

In the last week both of my garage doors have opened on their own.
The first time was the cart garage door. I reset the door opener, cleared out the codes and reprogrammed the remotes. Now the car side door has the same problem. I know these are not rolling code openers but is this a problem in the villages. The home is only 8 months old- Dunedin area. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe a solution?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Gold member

we are having the same problem and we live in a 8 year old home in the Plantations.

Twice in 7 days..... much more frequent after 7 years of owning our home...or so I though?

passed years experiences... I thought I forgot to close the door behind me....but when i was actually in the attic and the door closes on me...I realized it's not my mind going....it the garage door ghost...

we just decided to pull the plug on the garage door and use the front door and leave the cars in the driveway.

I would just hate to leave for months at a time, like we do...and come home to a empty garage.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 AM

It has happened a number of times in our neighborhood. It turned out to be caused by the key remote from a Hyndai car. Solution was to change the garage codes.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
It has happened a number of times in our neighborhood. It turned out to be caused by the key remote from a Hyndai car. Solution was to change the garage codes.
Interesting .... I used to have a Hyundai and I would open a neighbors garage door 3 houses down. She had her code changed and it never happened again. We always thought is was me hitting my opener early so the door would be open when I pulled up.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim45tn View Post
In the last week both of my garage doors have opened on their own.
The first time was the cart garage door. I reset the door opener, cleared out the codes and reprogrammed the remotes. Now the car side door has the same problem. I know these are not rolling code openers but is this a problem in the villages. The home is only 8 months old- Dunedin area. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe a solution?
I know this isn't long term solution but .... you are aware you can lock them down with the little lock / unlock switch, found under the up and down buttons on the garage wall right?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I know this isn't long term solution but .... you are aware you can lock them down with the little lock / unlock switch, found under the up and down buttons on the garage wall right?
Phanatic Luvr, you beat me to it. We use the little switch religiously, every night, these doors are locked by that switch. I did do some research on replacing the MVP controls, and found no solutions, unless the entire opener is replaced. Also, while I cannot confirm, I have heard of "contractor codes" being used in the garage doors during construction, but if the unit was reprogrammed these should have been removed.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Sage

I had the same problem once and it was caused by a neighbor who's unit was on the same frequency. Had the good fortune to see it opening when the neighbor came home and hit her button.

Had the garage door change to a different frequency and never had the problem again!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I had the same problem once and it was caused by a neighbor who's unit was on the same frequency. Had the good fortune to see it opening when the neighbor came home and hit her button.

Had the garage door change to a different frequency and never had the problem again!
Same thing happened in our neighborhood, but took a long time to realize that it was someone else's garage door opener working the door in question!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

As mentioned, changing the remote code will solve your problem. Romac most likely installed the opener. You can call them and they will email instructions to you for changing the code. Also, we use the little lock feature on the wall remote every night and definitely when we are away.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Very common thing. Had it happen to me as well. You have to change the code. Very easy, the manual will explain how to reprogram.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Default new security solution for outdated garage door remotes

Hi Jim. For another possible solution check out the Defender Key Fob PIN CODE protected garage door remotes at DefenderKeyFob.com, sold at ACE Hardware Stores locally
Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 PM

changing the code is a good answer when you are home. When away simple put the opener on the inside of the garage to off. Then the door can not open until you return them to the on position again.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Another possibility. Are you storing a spare remote in a drawer that is opened frequently? They are quite sensitive.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I would just hate to leave for months at a time, like we do...and come home to a empty garage.
In that case unplug your opener before you go.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
As mentioned, changing the remote code will solve your problem. Romac most likely installed the opener. You can call them and they will email instructions to you for changing the code. Also, we use the little lock feature on the wall remote every night and definitely when we are away.
Romac it may solf the current problem but it could happen again. I am in Calumet Grove and my system was 12 years old. After changing my codes the problem re-surfaced 2 months later. Romac replaced the system with one with rolling codes. No problems for the last 1 1/2 years.

Last edited by JGVillages; 01-22-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, problem, garage, doors, rolling, code, openers, solution, area, dunedin, home, months, old-, villages, opened, time, open, week, cart, remotes, car, side, reprogrammed, codes, reset

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.