Garage Floor

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Default Garage Floor

Has anyone done their own garage floor with an epoxy based paint? Which one did you use? Was it difficult?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I did our floor, did not use epoxy, so I cannot specifically answer your question, but I can tell you to be sure you add 'shark grip' or you may have a very slippery when wet floor. Check with whomever you decide to get the epoxy from about this additive. On a side note, I used an epoxy based paint in a basement many years ago, for water proofing, and the fumes were so strong that i was almost rendered unconscious, hopefully newer products are more friendly, but in any case I would have a fan on and the garage door wide open.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

no fans if paint is flammable.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:36 PM

It is difficult if you want a good looking job. My neighbor did his and. Call Tim Miller he does a great job.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I did our floor, did not use epoxy, so I cannot specifically answer your question, but I can tell you to be sure you add 'shark grip' or you may have a very slippery when wet floor. Check with whomever you decide to get the epoxy from about this additive. On a side note, I used an epoxy based paint in a basement many years ago, for water proofing, and the fumes were so strong that i was almost rendered unconscious, hopefully newer products are more friendly, but in any case I would have a fan on and the garage door wide open.
What paint and prep did you use?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
What paint and prep did you use?
I used a CLEAR "paint" that gives a wet concrete look, at the time, my better half did not want the epoxy with flakes. Now she does, and it is too late...
I purchased this clear at Sherwin Williams, along with the shark grip, while this worked well, the finish does not stand up to gasoline. I can probably find the exact name of the product if you need it.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I second what everyone has said so far. Doing over 400 inspections in The Villages every year, I see a lot of nice epoxy garage floors...and more than a few really bad ones. There are about a half a dozen good companies out there that do this....Tim Miller being one of the very best.

However, if you do want to do it yourself, I recommend either the Rust-o-leum product, or the H&C brand from Sherwin Williams.

The Rustoleum product, done as per the directions works great. It looks even better with the clear coat over it along with Shark Grip.

I have done a few of my own garage floors with it and they turned out great. You must make sure the floor temp moisture level is correct before you start.

Some tips....divide in the proper sections usually using the relief cuts as a guide. Measure the "flakes" in separate cups per section, so you do not run out of flakes.....if you have a small utility closet, do not forget to do that floor also.......use shark grip and/or another usually provided anti slip additive. I usually use both......work from the back of the garage towards the front so you do not get trapped.......use good lighting so you can see across the gloss so you do not miss any spots......if possible, do all of this the day after closing before you move anything in. That is the only time in your life your garage will be empty.

Do NOT use a cheap product. You need to use a product that will NOT allow hot tire pick up. Beware of the cheap product or the cheap installer. If possible, if you hire someone, go look at his previous jobs.

This is a project that you do not want to be a Cheapo on......if it is not done well and you get hot tire pickup or the look is poor, you will cry every time you see it for the rest of your days.....better to cry once when you pay for it and then be happy with it forever.

If you have any doubts, hire it out....this is not a project that a "redo" is easy.

The difference between hiring a good outfit and doing it yourself is only a few hundred bucks....divide that by the number of years of having a nice floor and it is not much.

You may ask then why did I do it myself...well, I designed and built my own house and delivered my own kids...so I do almost everything myself. So, if you are confident you can do this it is an enjoyable and rewarding project.....but if you have doubts, hire it out as this is not a forgiving project. Hope that helps!

Frank D.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

frank , you delivered your kids , that's where I draw the line, next time I will call you. lol
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Sage

Frank, very well stated, and i could not agree more.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

My garage has very noticeable expansion joints .260 or roughly 1/4"? Did you fill them in? if so what filler did you use and did it eventually crack at the joint?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My garage has very noticeable expansion joints .260 or roughly 1/4"? Did you fill them in? if so what filler did you use and did it eventually crack at the joint?
I filled in the stress cuts with a silicone based caulk, using a color that was close to the finished paint/coating. I would not fill these first and then paint as the 'caulk' may not be compatible with the paint, and the caulks tend to be soft, which will allow the paint to crack, chip, and peel. I used the silicone based caulk, so that when the concrete slab cracks (and it will) the flexible silicone will not crack, I am sure any hard fill will crack. JMHO.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I filled in the stress cuts with a silicone based caulk, using a color that was close to the finished paint/coating. I would not fill these first and then paint as the 'caulk' may not be compatible with the paint, and the caulks tend to be soft, which will allow the paint to crack, chip, and peel. I used the silicone based caulk, so that when the concrete slab cracks (and it will) the flexible silicone will not crack, I am sure any hard fill will crack. JMHO.
Thanks for quick answer, plan on doing mine sometime in the future?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine701 View Post
Has anyone done their own garage floor with an epoxy based paint? Which one did you use? Was it difficult?

Thanks
Another option is interlocking plastic tiles. Installed mine 11 years ago and absolutely no wear.

I think one brand is called Racetrack.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Do you have a phone number for Tim Miller?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStar View Post
Do you have a phone number for Tim Miller?
Epoxy...Garage and Lanai Floors
Closed Thread

Tags
floor, garage, difficult, based, epoxy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.