Garbage disposal leak

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts
Default Garbage disposal leak

Well after almost 6 years our garbage disposal (original unit) started leaking internally. This was a Badger unit, 2 year warranty, so I guess we cannot complain. Went to Lowe's and bought a new Insinkerator unit (~$200) and installed myself. It is so much better and much quieter (4 year warranty). Took about 2 hours as the new unit does not come with a cord, and the old unit had the cord built in, took a little while to cut the cord and get the proper adapter for installing on the new disposal.
NOTE: the leak was internal to the disposal and not in the plumbing, when I got the unit out, the motor was wet.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 AM
Gold member

Our original garbage disposal deveoped an internal leak after 14 years. It was a Badger 500.
I was going to buy one and have my handyman install it.
But when I called him, he said he had Badger 500’s on his truck.
So he supplied the disposal and installed for $195 total, which I was very happy with.
The new unit was much quieter, as they get noisy as they get older!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Out of curiosity I pulled the annual run time for my disposal: 41 minutes and 29 seconds for 2018. Most people are probably similar.

It is interesting that these develop leaks that are not related to use. These leaks must be the deteriorating rubber.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

There is a seal at the top of the motor (bottom of the grinder) and when this fails they leak. If you ever noticed the manufacturers say to never put corn husks down a disposal, the silk can build up between the grinder and the seal and cause the seal to fail real soon. I did not bother to take this one apart to confirm the seal failure, as I was too tired and had other things to do.

Tags
unit, disposal, cord, year, warranty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.