Garbage Disposal Replacement (Leaking)

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2016, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Cool Garbage Disposal Replacement (Leaking)

SAFETY FIRST REMEMBER

Water was gushing from under the sink when it was discovered that the original garbage disposal, Badger 1/2 hp, had sprung a leak. Neighbor had a similar failure 1-2 yrs previously. So if you've been in your home for over 6 years....ours lasted 8 yrs. REMOVAL: The disposal has an electric wall plug under the sink. Unplug it. Place old towels under cabinet to collect any water remaining in drain pipes. Remove any drain pipes. Take screwdriver & insert in ring at top of disposal & loosen to remove....takes less than 1/4 revolution & disposal will drop. It's heavy so be careful. A really handy gadget is a small floor jack whether 1-2 ton hydraulic. Under $30 if you don't have & yes you may need it in future. It will aid immensely upon installation especially tightening the ring....Reverse process for install.
NOTE: New units do not have electric cord so wherever you purchase unit they also should sell cord. The cord kit has wire nuts too....but you'll need plumbers putty. There's several You Tube videos showing removal & installation. Worse part was getting under sink.

I REPLACED UNIT WITH EXACT LIKE UNIT making installation a breeze. I recommend doing the same. See what unit you have & get on line....Home Depot had mine.

Tools needed - 6-8" screwdriver flat or cross tip (philips) to loosen clamp/ring holding disposal.

Flashlight

1/4" socket set to remove 2 bolts attaching drain on side of disposal.

As with many EZ jobs something always goes haywire so virgin ears may want to be in another room. Biggest problem I had was starting bolts to align drain line. This is where the jack comes in - supporting unit.

Cost....Unit $99.98....Cord $12.99....Putty $3.99.... If you need jack $30.00....Plus Tax....Show Your Military ID & Get Additional 10% Discount

If you replace unit with like item your stopper will be the same size as your old. Just discard old stopper. I purchased exact same unit so NO CUTTING OF PIPES REQUIRED.

You can do this
Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

use jack from car, you already have one of those.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

We had the Badger 1/2 HP and it clogged often. I replaced it with a 1 HP Waste King 8000 from Legend for about $115 including cord and free shipping. Larger than the Badger 1/2 HP but it fit and had same type of connection. Biggest problem was the final fit up of the attaching ring as described in original post. I used phonebooks (and we sure get enough) to get it positioned and for the final adjustment used to small wooden wedges that I got from Home Depot for small $.

I call this unit "The Beast" . Nothing has slowed this unit down.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Default Mike Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
SAFETY FIRST REMEMBER

Water was gushing from under the sink when it was discovered that the original garbage disposal, Badger 1/2 hp, had sprung a leak. Neighbor had a similar failure 1-2 yrs previously. So if you've been in your home for over 6 years....ours lasted 8 yrs. REMOVAL: The disposal has an electric wall plug under the sink. Unplug it. Place old towels under cabinet to collect any water remaining in drain pipes. Remove any drain pipes. Take screwdriver & insert in ring at top of disposal & loosen to remove....takes less than 1/4 revolution & disposal will drop. It's heavy so be careful. A really handy gadget is a small floor jack whether 1-2 ton hydraulic. Under $30 if you don't have & yes you may need it in future. It will aid immensely upon installation especially tightening the ring....Reverse process for install.
NOTE: New units do not have electric cord so wherever you purchase unit they also should sell cord. The cord kit has wire nuts too....but you'll need plumbers putty. There's several You Tube videos showing removal & installation. Worse part was getting under sink.

I REPLACED UNIT WITH EXACT LIKE UNIT making installation a breeze. I recommend doing the same. See what unit you have & get on line....Home Depot had mine.

Tools needed - 6-8" screwdriver flat or cross tip (philips) to loosen clamp/ring holding disposal.

Flashlight

1/4" socket set to remove 2 bolts attaching drain on side of disposal.

As with many EZ jobs something always goes haywire so virgin ears may want to be in another room. Biggest problem I had was starting bolts to align drain line. This is where the jack comes in - supporting unit.

Cost....Unit $99.98....Cord $12.99....Putty $3.99.... If you need jack $30.00....Plus Tax....Show Your Military ID & Get Additional 10% Discount

If you replace unit with like item your stopper will be the same size as your old. Just discard old stopper. I purchased exact same unit so NO CUTTING OF PIPES REQUIRED.

You can do this
Mike Scott replaced my disposal for $220.I called 8:00 AM on a Monday,the plumber arrived at 3:00PM Monday and left before 4:00.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, disposal, cord, drain, jack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.