Gas grill conversion from propane to natural gas

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2021, 09:18 AM
Question Gas grill conversion from propane to natural gas

Hi everyone - I recently read the posts on the value (or opinion) of using natural gas vs. propane. I have a Charbroil commercial dual gas grill that I want to convert from propane to natural. I have the kit and comfortable doing the work and had a gas line, with shut off valve, installed during our new build. I have a few questions for the group:

- Instructions are vague on the need for an in-line regulator. Is one needed? I was under the impression that a regulator was needed from the gas source (street) to the house. I have gas appliances so I know the pressure is correct for those.
- Is pipe dope needed on the connection from the house gas line to the new flexible grill hose? Neighbor says no. Again, instructions are vague.
- If I decide not to do the work myself, is there anyone out there that does conversions?

Thanks all - appreciate any insight.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:29 AM

Other than changing the gas orifice to the correct one for the lower pressure natural gas we did not have to do anything to our Weber to change it from Propane to natural gas. That was in Georgia, don't know if there's a code in Florida that outlines the need for anything else?
Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 AM

Thanks, that's helpful. The kit comes with stop pins to install and I need to remove the current gas grill orifices so looks like I'm all set
Old 08-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

I have a rule of thumb. I do not work on electrical items or plumbing items and will add gas to them. A problem/mistake can cause $thousand of damages with these trades.

Trust that you have the knowledge/expertise to do this correctly.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrunda View Post
Hi everyone - I recently read the posts on the value (or opinion) of using natural gas vs. propane. I have a Charbroil commercial dual gas grill that I want to convert from propane to natural. I have the kit and comfortable doing the work and had a gas line, with shut off valve, installed during our new build. I have a few questions for the group:

- Instructions are vague on the need for an in-line regulator. Is one needed? I was under the impression that a regulator was needed from the gas source (street) to the house. I have gas appliances so I know the pressure is correct for those.
- Is pipe dope needed on the connection from the house gas line to the new flexible grill hose? Neighbor says no. Again, instructions are vague.
- If I decide not to do the work myself, is there anyone out there that does conversions?

Thanks all - appreciate any insight.
I would call the manufacturer and get the correct answers to your questions. IMHO, pipe dope is a few dollars, use it. As for the gas regulator, you need to ask the manufacturer if the EXISTING gas pressure is suitable for your grill. Without knowing the specific details of YOUR installation and those of people providing comments you will not know if the replies are suitable for your installation.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

Change your Jets! Like someone suggested check your Reg pressure, CNG is safe... propane puddles which of course is very dangerous.... after you complete this project , purchase the kit and run your car on CNG . By Filling your car at home, you pay utility tax not transportation tax at the pump
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, needed, grill, propane, natural

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.