Golf cart electric fuel guage

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,103 Times in 2,232 Posts
Default Golf cart electric fuel guage

I am looking into installing an electric fuel gauge in a 2017 Yamaha EFI quietech cart. my question is does anyone have one with the electric fuel gauge and if so could you post or send a photo of the installation on the fuel tank? I think I have a suitable location for the sender unit, but would like to see an actual installation, thanks in advance.

BTW, I have checked local dealers and the prices range from $90 to $150, I believe I can DIY for half of this cost.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:51 PM

If no one replies to you. Try Utube for possible instructions.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Electric Fuel....Hummmmmm..How about a Proton Neutron Electron measuring device
Old 06-12-2020, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
If no one replies to you. Try Utube for possible instructions.
Tried that already, no luck, thank you.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Got to ask ? Didn’t you’re EFI golf cart come with fuel gauge on the dash? Mine did. If not wouldn’t villages golf sales have them if they are add on item?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage

Ours did not come with the dash mounted gauge, and the prices i mentioned were from 2 of the dealers to install the sender and the gauge.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Ours did not come with the dash mounted gauge, and the prices i mentioned were from 2 of the dealers to install the sender and the gauge.
Is that price for an OEM fuel sender and gauge?

The OEM sender unit is a part of the fuel pump assembly that goes into the tank. You should be able to buy a new sender/pump unit and the OEM Hobbs/fuel meter but 150 doesn’t sound bad, especially if it’s OEM, Just the pump and sender runs over $150... aftermarket universal once are a bit of a pain to install, you will have to drain the tank, possibly pull it out of the cart, and are not always linear in their gauging.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage

It appears there were options as my original fuel pump does not appear to have the capability for driving an external fuel guage, so i am looking for the after market installation. I have found what i believe is a suitable unit, BUT I just wanted to make contact with someone else to confirm the location i have chosen is correct.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It appears there were options as my original fuel pump does not appear to have the capability for driving an external fuel guage, so i am looking for the after market installation. I have found what i believe is a suitable unit, BUT I just wanted to make contact with someone else to confirm the location i have chosen is correct.
You might be hard pressed to find someone who has done an aftermarket install on a cart this new on their own.

Here’s a video of someone installing a simple lever type sender in a club car, it’s won’t be the same but he run into the same issues you will, so it might help a bit.

YouTube

A lever style sender is not ideal for the EFI cart since the fuel pump takes up a lot of room in the tank, and you will need ample room to get the lever and and main arm into the correct positions for proper full and empty readings.

If I was doing it I would use this sender unit KUS USA SSS Fuel & Water Level Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y831JUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Npq5EbJ629QJS once you have picked a spot and measured the depth in that spot you can order it in the correct length for your tank, obviously you want the longest option without touching the bottom. You will also need a gauge and wiring but you seem to have some electrical/electronics experience.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
I am looking into installing an electric fuel gauge in a 2017 Yamaha EFI quietech cart. my question is does anyone have one with the electric fuel gauge and if so could you post or send a photo of the installation on the fuel tank? I think I have a suitable location for the sender unit, but would like to see an actual installation, thanks in advance.

BTW, I have checked local dealers and the prices range from $90 to $150, I believe I can DIY for half of this cost.
Regarding having it professionally done, as a wise sheriff from Mayberry once said, “Call the man, Aunt Bee”.

Last edited by photo1902; 06-13-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARO1 View Post
You might be hard pressed to find someone who has done an aftermarket install on a cart this new on their own.

Here’s a video of someone installing a simple lever type sender in a club car, it’s won’t be the same but he run into the same issues you will, so it might help a bit.

YouTube

A lever style sender is not ideal for the EFI cart since the fuel pump takes up a lot of room in the tank, and you will need ample room to get the lever and and main arm into the correct positions for proper full and empty readings.

If I was doing it I would use this sender unit KUS USA SSS Fuel & Water Level Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y831JUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Npq5EbJ629QJS once you have picked a spot and measured the depth in that spot you can order it in the correct length for your tank, obviously you want the longest option without touching the bottom. You will also need a gauge and wiring but you seem to have some electrical/electronics experience.
The KUS unit is the one I am looking at, I had already decided against the lever type as I had no way of determining the clearances in the tank. I was actually hoping to use the fill hole for the KUS unit, but I found actual dimensions and that unit is too big to fit in the existing hole. What I need to determine is if the tank has a completely flat bottom, so I guess I am going to jack up the cart and look.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The KUS unit is the one I am looking at, I had already decided against the lever type as I had no way of determining the clearances in the tank. I was actually hoping to use the fill hole for the KUS unit, but I found actual dimensions and that unit is too big to fit in the existing hole. What I need to determine is if the tank has a completely flat bottom, so I guess I am going to jack up the cart and look.
Looking at the parts diagram the only place would be behind the filler cap towards the back of the tank.

I did some digging and if you want to have the stock parts the Yamaha part number for the fuel pump assembly with the level sender is J0D-13907-00-00 your cart has part number J0B-13907-00-00 which does not have the sender unit. You will Also need gauge JC0-H351C-10-00 and unfortunately you also need to replace the main harness with PN J0D-H2590-01-00 all in all it will cost you about $350, it will obviously entail a lot of work, you would have to take most of the body off the cart to replace the wire harness... I think it’s easier to go the aftermarket route!

I get all my Yamaha cart parts from adeptpowersport.com and sometimes partzilla.com.

If you do this work, consider taking some pictures of your progress and share it on the forum, I’m sure all this info will be helpful for others down the road.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage

RAR01, thanks for all of the info, I came up with the same conclusion on the location, I did not research the parts as i was not aware of that option, but as you point out much more expensive. I am in the middle of 2 other projects, and as sonn as they are complete, the fuel gauge will be next. i like your idea of the pictures, will try to do that.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

I’m trying to figure out how you have a 2017 cart without a fuel gauge.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I’m trying to figure out how you have a 2017 cart without a fuel gauge.
We have a fuel gauge, it is under the seat, I want the electric one to make it easier for my wife.

Tags
fuel, electric, gauge, cart, installation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.