Heating a spa

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Default Heating a spa

Curious...if you have a spa and a pool, do you use a separate heater just for the spa in order to get it to higher temperatures? What size heater do you find adequate just for a spa?
Thank you for your time and effort...appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	A79DCC46-406D-4CDE-9331-55A8937093C8.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	96201  
Old 12-20-2022, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

If your pool and spa water are co-mingled in the filter, pumps, etc, I am not sure how you would separately heat the spa water. If you have separate loops for each, then I would expect separate heaters for each. I am guessing you are asking for a future project, so I would make sure this is discussed in the planning stage. We have a separate spa above ground, with the built-in heater. It easily heats the 500 gallons of water and keeps it nice and warm the very good insulation.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:23 PM

Thank you....this is my sons pool...he has a combined heater and solar heater which handles the pool and spa just fine....about 80 degrees. But he wants an additional heater just to boost heat for the spa...pool companies have given him a large quote for a big heater. He wants a heater less than 100k BTU and knows it will take about 2 hours to get the temp up to 100+...he is fine with that since he works from home.
Two pool companies are trying to oversell the larger heater size and won't get the smaller one.

Last edited by Lyn McElwee; 12-20-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn McElwee View Post
Thank you....this is my sons pool...he has a combined heater and solar heater which handles the pool and spa just fine....about 80 degrees. But he wants an additional heater just to boost heat for the spa...pool companies have given him a large quote for a big heater. He wants a heater less than 100k BTU and knows it will take about 2 hours to get the temp up to 100+...he is fine with that since he works from home.
Two pool companies are trying to oversell the larger heater size and won't get the smaller one.
I do not think this will work, sounds like the water for both are combined, he would need to somehow separate the spa from the pool ($$$$) and then install a small heater for the spa. Depending on how the plumbing is installed and if the spa drains into the pool this may not be possible.

Tags
spa, heater, heating, size, adequate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.