Help! Cleaning kitchen sink

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Default Help! Cleaning kitchen sink

We have a white kitchen sink in TV. Not porcelain or metal- some kind of plastic. The sink now has stained to a brownish color. We've tried Formula 409 and Tilex to no avail. Does anybody having the same kind of sink know the secret?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Two great products I use when all else fails on a stain is Bar Keeper's Friend and CLR. Bar keepers has been around for decades. CLR has been known to damage the color of your laminate countertop, so proceed with caution if using in the sink. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Default Kitchen sink

I always have luck using "Magic Erasers" to remove tough stains, you can use with any cleaner you like.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Have you tried compresses of straight Clorox?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Definitely go with Bar Keeper's Best Friend -- it's one of the few products that won't scratch those sinks. If it is scratched, good luck on getting tomato-based stains out. Another thing to try is to fill the sink to the level of the stains and then add bleach and let sit overnight. Clean the next morning with Magic Eraser. Sometimes this works, depending on how old the stains are. (Best solution is to replace the hated Corian sinks!)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM

: My laundry room sink is plastic and I had the same problem. Wash the sink with Softsoap liquid cleanser and a nylon scrubbing pad. Rinse, then fill the tub with water to cover the stain and add a cup of Clorox. Soak the sink for a couple of hours (or more if needed). Then apply car polish to the sink and you won't have anymore stains. Hope it works for you.....it worked for me!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

bleach will eventually take the finish off the sink. I personally wouldn't use it. Bar Keeper's Helper is great, Magic Erasers are great as well. Try these first and good luck!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I use Brillo pads on my glass cook top AND our glass shower door and it never scratches either. I use bleach for a lot of stains in my house but I don't have a composite sink except in my laundry room and bleach works on that.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-17-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM

Try gel dishwasher detergent. Just a small amount and work it in with a sponge, let stand for 5 mins. - Works wonders!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Oven cleaner?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
Oven cleaner?
Certain types of plastics are susceptible to being damaged by oven cleaner (referring to the O.P.'s description of their sink).......

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

In my NJ home we had a counter and sink of solid laminate and I think that may be what you have, as i've seen them in some friends homes here. They can be cleaned with a mild household cleaner and baking soda.

They can get deep scratches in them from pots and pans, so be cautious when washing them. You can sand the scratches out, but it's an awful mess of dust, even with a wet sander.

Here's a link to explain the cleaning that I've located that seems right on the money.

http://www.countertop.com/care/
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage

If ducati's sink is like ours (patio villa in Duval), it's truly a plastic of some sort. Doesn't seem like Corian or anything like that. Bought our home as a resale and all the sinks, kitchen and baths, have been scrubbed on somewhat of a regular basis with some type of mildly abrasive scrubber, it seems - the surfaces have been scratched a bit and dulled down (inconsistently) pretty good. I can't help but think there's nothing we can do to resurrect the finish given the plastic surface. We're just going to roll with them til we get to some future point of feeling we should perhaps replace them.

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
If ducati's sink is like ours (patio villa in Duval), it's truly a plastic of some sort. Doesn't seem like Corian or anything like that. Bought our home as a resale and all the sinks, kitchen and baths, have been scrubbed on somewhat of a regular basis with some type of mildly abrasive scrubber, it seems - the surfaces have been scratched a bit and dulled down (inconsistently) pretty good. I can't help but think there's nothing we can do to resurrect the finish given the plastic surface. We're just going to roll with them til we get to some future point of feeling we should perhaps replace them.

Bill
I you purchase your home new, you should have a listing in your paperwork of all the items installed in your paperwork.

On a resale like yours, i would call The Villages Home Warranty Dept. at 352-753-6222 and give them your Unit # and Homesite # and they can tell you what's installed in your home and/or give you the name of the original contracted installer of those items.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240 View Post
Try gel dishwasher detergent. Just a small amount and work it in with a sponge, let stand for 5 mins. - Works wonders!
I use this on what I think is our fiberglass bathtub! Works great, so does shampoo.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.