Help hanging framed art

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Help hanging framed art

Just moved into a block built home. What should be used to hang art 20+ lbs or more? I have the new hangers that look like a curved wire that are supposed to be able to be used in a normal sheetrock wall but I can't penetrate a outside wall. Do I have to drill or will a tradition hanger and nail be best?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Northern52, first, welcome to TV.
If you are hanging pictures inside the house, you will have standard drywall to work with, and should have no problem using standard hangers. There is a space for insulation between the drywall and the block walls (2" I think). Now if you were unlucky enough to hit a METAL stud, that would explain why your standard hanger did not work. In general the metal studs are used on interior walls, but after checking photos of my house during construction, I found lots of metal studs in the outside walls.
IMHO, since you are only hanging 20 pounds, I would simply move 1 inch left or right to avoid the metal stud and use 1 or 2 standard hangers. If you must go where the stud is, I have had very good luck drilling a small (3/32 inch) pilot hole, and using a number 10 sheet metal screw directly into the metal stud. Do NOT use the plastic expansion plugs, as these will shear off when they expand against the metal stud and you will lose most of the holding capability.
Now if you are mounting your artwork on say the lanai, then yes you need to drill a hole, insert the appropriate expandable plug, the hanger and the screw.
Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss more.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for your advice Villagetinker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Northern52, first, welcome to TV.
If you are hanging pictures inside the house, you will have standard drywall to work with, and should have no problem using standard hangers. There is a space for insulation between the drywall and the block walls (2" I think). Now if you were unlucky enough to hit a METAL stud, that would explain why your standard hanger did not work. In general the metal studs are used on interior walls, but after checking photos of my house during construction, I found lots of metal studs in the outside walls.
IMHO, since you are only hanging 20 pounds, I would simply move 1 inch left or right to avoid the metal stud and use 1 or 2 standard hangers. If you must go where the stud is, I have had very good luck drilling a small (3/32 inch) pilot hole, and using a number 10 sheet metal screw directly into the metal stud. Do NOT use the plastic expansion plugs, as these will shear off when they expand against the metal stud and you will lose most of the holding capability.
Now if you are mounting your artwork on say the lanai, then yes you need to drill a hole, insert the appropriate expandable plug, the hanger and the screw.
Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss more.
Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, art, normal, nail, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.