Help with Lanai screen

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
Default Help with Lanai screen

Seems easy but there must a trick. I can't get the screen spline to start. It's the flat vinyl type. It seems to be the same as what was in place but I can't get it to start. Anybody know a technique to installing the spline.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I think there's a spline tool, but I've always had trouble with screens.
I asked a handyman buddy and he said there difficult unless you know what you're doing and said to just call a screen guy to do it.
I'm sorry I don't know more. If you find something good, post it.
Maybe home depot can suggest something.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM

You can poke at it with a screwdriver (and make a hole in the new screen) but you really need a spline tool which is like a handle with a wheel on each end. I use duct tape to hold the new screen over the area to be covered. Then run the spline tool along the top edge which will partially push the screen into the groove. Then I cut a piece of spline and starting in the middle use the grooved wheel on the spline tool to push it into the groove and work toward the ends. Just give it a good push to start it and make sure there are no twists. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Banned
Default The secret is

One of my neighbors came by and saw I was struggling with the screen install. He was able to show me how it's done. It works very well and is simple and fast. My roller tool has two rollers, one end is rounded te other is grooved. Since the frames are vertical I taped the fiberglass screen in place with small pieces of duct tape at each corner and at about every two feet. Start from a horizontal corner and using the rounded end roller push the screen and vinyl spline in the metal frame groove along the interior opening of the frame for about 12 inches. This will push the screen and flat vinyl spline in place and not cut the screen. At this point it will fall out very easy so a helper is good to hold the spline up and in place until the next step. The other side of the spline will be sticking out of the groove at about a 45 degree angle. Now turn the roller around and using the grooved roller start in the same corner and push the exposed side of the spline down in the metal groove. It will simply roll the flat spline into the metal groove and lock the screen and spline in place. The grooved roller could cut the screen so becareful to keep it on the outside of the opening.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Platinum member

Are the screens not removeable? I did a window screen and laid it flat on the patio and did not have to worry about screen falling.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Banned

No, the frame is not removable. This was a panel in a lanai a permanent structure. The tape is just to hold the screen up so you don't have to have 6 hands. The tape really doesn't stretch the screen in place.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.