Home Maintenance schedule

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Sage

At the in duct AC/heater unit in garage - the unit has an internal condensate drip pan and a plastic drain line from the drip pan.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
At the in duct AC/heater unit in garage - the unit has an internal condensate drip pan and a plastic drain line from the drip pan.

Thanks for the info. Something else on the "to do" list.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are lots more.
In the spring summer and fall, fertilize your lawn.
Treat for cinch bugs in the spring or as needed
Spay your shrubs twice a year
Adjust your sprinkler heads every 6 months
Clean your dryer vent annually
Replace furnace/AC filter every 6 months.

I am sure there are more as well. What would be great if we could build a schedule so that by working only 1 hour each week for 48 weeks you keep everything up to date.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
There are lots more.
In the spring summer and fall, fertilize your lawn.
Treat for cinch bugs in the spring or as needed
Spay your shrubs twice a year
Adjust your sprinkler heads every 6 months
Clean your dryer vent annually
Replace furnace/AC filter every 6 months.

I am sure there are more as well. What would be great if we could build a schedule so that by working only 1 hour each week for 48 weeks you keep everything up to date.
Sorry, but I like my shrubs to reproduce.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM

A couple posts asked where the condensate port was.

This is picture of the port to pour warm water into your A/C condensate drain - I do it the first day of each month during the cooling season. There is a twist off cap in the white pvc line which has already been removed in this picture. In a gallon of warm water, I put a cup or two of white vinegar to help cut the "goo" in the lines. Get yourself a cheap plastic funnel to pour the water into the port - pouring from the "milk jug" is a real pain.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
A couple posts asked where the condensate port was.

This is picture of the port to pour warm water into your A/C condensate drain - I do it the first day of each month during the cooling season. There is a twist off cap in the white pvc line which has already been removed in this picture. In a gallon of warm water, I put a cup or two of white vinegar to help cut the "goo" in the lines. Get yourself a cheap plastic funnel to pour the water into the port - pouring from the "milk jug" is a real pain.

The Villages Florida
Sparty, I was asking about this. I have followed the guidelines and poured in a gallon of hot water but earlier in this thread someone talked about "goo" coming out. I just poured the water in. Did I miss something?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM

JoJo - You may not have much in your lines. Some do, particularly if they are several years old and a mix of dust, bugs, and mildew get in there. Or, your lines might just be very clean. If so, great. Mine doesn't flush out anything either. Your line will probably drain out by the compressor unit outside. There may be two or three white pvc drain pipes out there. One for the water heater leak pan, another for the water heater pressure relief valve, and the third for your A/C condensor drain. Just pour some in the port, then go out and see which one has water under it. The water heater drains shouldn't have any. BTW, if you have your furnace-A/C unit serviced by a professional, one of the things s/he will do is flush that very line with a cleaning solution.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Condensation pipes

We were told to pour vinegar down the condensation pipe in the garage every six months. Is this the same thing you pour hot water down? The where does it come out? We sealed all of our grout when we moved in but will reseal it at about one year.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

OK, the list is growing. What else is still missing?

1. Irrigation system on year round, turn off for a while after heavy rain - one week- Adjust your sprinkler heads every 6 months
2. Replace furnace/AC filter every 6 months and pour one gallon of hot/warm water mixed with two cups of white vinegar through the condensate drain. Have heating system and air conditioner system checked once a year.
3. Cut grass every two weeks in summer and once a month in winter.
4. Power wash home once a year.
5. Clean and/or polish front door if fiberglass. Old English
6. Steam clean tile every 6 to 12 months or more as needed and re-seal tile grout every two years.
7. Service garage door guides and springs - spray with silicon every three months-tighten all nuts & bolts.
8. Fertilize your lawn with the correct seasonal type In the spring summer and fall
9. Treat for cinch bugs in the spring or as needed
10. Spray your shrubs twice a year with the correct seasonal bug and fungus mix. Trim and prune as required.
11. Clean your dryer vent annually
12. Replace all batteries in smoke and carbon dioxide detectors once a year.
13. Refurbish mulch once a year
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM

To add to the list -

14. Drain hot water tank annually
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 PM

I had to add a couple of of items to my list that weren't on there. However, I have several items to add to the list produced by l2ridehd (Note: some may not applicable to everyone)

15 Test and rest all ground fault (GFCI) outlets. Monthly is recommended but I usually do it quarterly.

16 Check and reset lawn donuts.

17 Change batteries in irrigation timer. They recommend every 6 months.

18 Have carpets professionally cleaned (Heat extraction method is recommended by The Villages)

19 Replace refrigerator water filter (Every 3 months)

20 Wash and polish wood cabinets every year with a light coat of furniture polish. Don’t use a paste wax and don’t use a polish that contains silicone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.