How do you clean white tile in kitchen

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire
Default How do you clean white tile in kitchen

I want to get rid of it BUT since that is a long way off....

how do you clean it is really two questions in one.

1. How do you clean it basic for everyday use, you know, coffee spots and garage dirt.

AND 2. How do you deep clean it every once in a while, when you just cannot stand it anymore?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage
Default What kind of tile.

You don't say what kind of tile.

I have white ceramic tile and I vacuum it and then use a shark steamer on it. It's not a problem.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Sage

With a Hoover Floormate.

http://hoover.com/products/details/f...d-floor-wipes/

(White Ceramic Tile Floors are a bear to keep clean)(maybe because of the three cats?)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran member
Default white tile

Finally got rid of ours and had laminate put throughout house. Prior to that, I cleaned tile with a steamer (Bissell brand). It got the tile clean but the grout remained dirty, even when I poured bleach and scrubbed witha toothbrush.

I finally contacted a tile & grout cleaning professional. They deep clean the tile and grout first and return the next day to make sure totally dry. The second day, they put on some sort of coating on the grout that made it white again and sealed everything. From that point on, you just damp mop with very little water and non-ammonia based cleaner.

We used a guy named Pat More "Professional Carpet & TIle" 352-516-3565. They were reasonably priced and it is a family business.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default tile and grout

We have our entire first floor done in big stone-look tiles--light colored, not white, with light grout--in Michigan, because we live amidst sand dunes a block back from Lake Michigan and always have a golden retriever in residence, swimming in, walking in, and dragging in sand. After ten years, we had Stanley Steamer come in and steam-clean the floor and seal the grout. It was $700 for about a thousand square feet, but everything looked brand-new. We didn't even realize how dull the tile had gotten, because it is mottled. They did an amazing job. Plus they said they would come back the next year for half price. But the grout is still beautiful after three years.

I might have them back this summer as the condo is up for sale.

Our house in TV has tile in entry, kitchen, and around the breakfast bar. I'm wondering if I should have the grout sealed. Has anyone done that? I doubt the builder did...
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Sage

Hi jdsl1998,
I don't have a white tile floor, but do have a Hoover Floor Mate and I second Chuckinca's recommendation. It vacuums, wet mops and dries and does a wonderful job cleaning floors.

Best wishes.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Thumbs up for the Hoover Floor Mate

....it works great and you empty the tank when you are done and the water is sooo filthy....sor of some weird satisfaction in that!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We have our entire first floor done in big stone-look tiles--light colored, not white, with light grout--in Michigan, because we live amidst sand dunes a block back from Lake Michigan and always have a golden retriever in residence, swimming in, walking in, and dragging in sand. After ten years, we had Stanley Steamer come in and steam-clean the floor and seal the grout. It was $700 for about a thousand square feet, but everything looked brand-new. We didn't even realize how dull the tile had gotten, because it is mottled. They did an amazing job. Plus they said they would come back the next year for half price. But the grout is still beautiful after three years.

I might have them back this summer as the condo is up for sale.

Our house in TV has tile in entry, kitchen, and around the breakfast bar. I'm wondering if I should have the grout sealed. Has anyone done that? I doubt the builder did...
I found out as we are building our new home that the builder does not seal the grout. That surprises me since here, up North, standard practice is to seal grout. So, depending on how big the project will be and the time I have to spend on my knees, DIY, or hire a contractor to do it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.