Hunter Ceiling Fan

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Default Hunter Ceiling Fan

I have (several) hunter ceiling fans (52)") in home that is 8 years old. One fan has slowed down to approx. 8 turns per minute on low speed. seems to be ok in medium and high speed. It is not on a dimmer switch but direct wired to an on/off switch. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. We like to keep fan on low as we sit pretty much right under it. Thanks
Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,585 Times in 5,184 Posts

In my opinion, the fan is not worth repairing. But, if it is wired to a wall switch, you could replace the switch with a dimmer, and that may allow you to set a speed that you like. Otherwise, I would get a new fan.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Default You should check

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
in my opinion, the fan is not worth repairing. But, if it is wired to a wall switch, you could replace the switch with a dimmer, and that may allow you to set a speed that you like. Otherwise, i would get a new fan.
ceiling fans are not compatible with dimmers-you will burn out either the fan or your home.
Read instructions on the dimmer and it will confirm what i say.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Never put a ceiling fan on a dimmer switch. It will burn up the fan motor
Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnpd View Post
I have (several) hunter ceiling fans (52)") in home that is 8 years old. One fan has slowed down to approx. 8 turns per minute on low speed. seems to be ok in medium and high speed. It is not on a dimmer switch but direct wired to an on/off switch. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. We like to keep fan on low as we sit pretty much right under it. Thanks
I am guessing the capacitor has failed. These are available at most of the hardware stores (ACE, Lowes, Home Depot), and relatively easy to replace. Take a picture of the wiring before you start. I have replaced these several times.
The other possibility is that the bearings have failed, and the fan does not have enough torque on low speed. In this case, you could try some lubrication, but this is typically difficult without removing the fan from the ceiling. If the fan spins for several revolutions on low speed after being turned off I would think the bearings are OK.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I will check into replacing the capacitor?? Good idea to take pix first.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Gold member

I have 3 Hunter ceiling fans on my lanai and all 3 have Hunter variable speed controls on them. I don't know how long they have been there, but they all work great. I replaced all 3 fans about 6 months ago with new Hunter fans and they work great too.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM

I shouldn't cost you anything. I had one go bad in our bedroom and got a new one. You'll have to take it down yourself or pay someone to uninstall the old and install the new one. Check their website. Ceiling Fan Warranty | Register Your Ceiling Fan | Hunter Fan" Hunter Fan Company Ceiling Fans Lifetime Limited Warranty. It’s simple: we build our fans to last. In fact, we’re so confident in the quality of our materials and craftsmanship that we offer a Lifetime Limited Warranty on all our ceiling fans—the best warranty available. If something does go wrong with any part of your fan motor (through no fault of your own), you’re pretty much covered. "

Last edited by HogPilot; 09-22-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Tags
fan, speed, low, hunter, switch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.