I FIXED THE DOOR !!! - re: Concrete buckled, lanai door won't open easily

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up Fixed the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
First, thanks to everyone who posted. The tips made me think.

My initial approach was to a) tell my wife to live with the lania door not closing. That didn't work. b) tell her to "call the guy", that didn't work either! c) I didn't even try to say "you fix it" - though she did help a lot in holding the door while I removed the hinge screws.

So, adjusting the door seemed like the best first approach, compared to grinding concrete. I took the door off and the bottom of it was a lightweight aluminum rail, not really a sweep.

I didn't have a grinding disc/wheel, so.. I took my handy little sledgehammer and gave the bottom of the aluminum a few whacks. Then I put the door back up and VOILA, it worked fine - fingers crossed.

As far as the buckled concrete, it's the patio slab away from the house foundation, so it is what it is. Like someone posted, a low grade concrete composite and it'll have to do for now.

I'm glad it worked, and thankful for the tips that made me think and work it through. TOTV is the best! Be safe out there, it's a strange world.

Hammer to fit, paint to match!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I took my handy little sledgehammer and gave the bottom of the aluminum a few whacks.
I had to laugh, when I was an young electrical engineering student taking a class in some high-tech subject with a distinguished engineering professor. We were to watch a video tape on some topic and the professor could not get the video to work. After many attempts failed he finally called in the dept technician whose job was to keep all the lab equipment working. Well, as the class watched, he looked over the video setup for a few seconds then gave a solid WHACK to the side of the television monitor. It immediately started working and the class gave him a standing ovation! He looked at us all, future technical leaders of the world, with a somewhat dubious expression, and silently left the classroom. It was an experience, and a lesson, I kept with me throughout my career. Never look down upon the technicians or those who work with their hands, for they possess a level of magic and creativity that us 'educated' individuals will probably never understand.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Well, it was a means to an end and it all worked out.
As I said to my wife - "you get what you pay for" LOL

So see divorced you and ran away with the pool kid...........LOL
Old 10-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Sage

FYI.... The bottom of the door has a channel with a rubber sweep attached that is held on with 3 or 4 screws that penetrate not with holes, but an angled slot that raises and lowers the height of the channel. ALSO, the slabs are not a "cheap composite" . They are a mix called "fibercrete". Excellent material for preventing cracks.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I love it, when in doubt, whack it with a sledgehammer. What can’t be fixed with a sawzall, sledgehammer, duct tape, velcro, bungee cords, gorilla glue, and zip ties?
My last marriage! Well at least not with severe consequences. Lol
Freudian slip. “Without”.

Last edited by Scorpyo; 10-18-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Incorrect wording
Old 10-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
First, thanks to everyone who posted. The tips made me think.

My initial approach was to a) tell my wife to live with the lania door not closing. That didn't work. b) tell her to "call the guy", that didn't work either! c) I didn't even try to say "you fix it" - though she did help a lot in holding the door while I removed the hinge screws.

So, adjusting the door seemed like the best first approach, compared to grinding concrete. I took the door off and the bottom of it was a lightweight aluminum rail, not really a sweep.

I didn't have a grinding disc/wheel, so.. I took my handy little sledgehammer and gave the bottom of the aluminum a few whacks. Then I put the door back up and VOILA, it worked fine - fingers crossed.

As far as the buckled concrete, it's the patio slab away from the house foundation, so it is what it is. Like someone posted, a low grade concrete composite and it'll have to do for now.

I'm glad it worked, and thankful for the tips that made me think and work it through. TOTV is the best! Be safe out there, it's a strange world.
IMO Probably should of replaced the rollers while had sliding door off, or at least Cleaned and lubed them.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, concrete, work, worked, grinding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.