Installing retractable screen door

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Default Installing retractable screen door

Does anyone have a recommendation for a retractable screen door for the front door of a Lantana model? I'm looking at a Larson E100, but I'm not sure if it will install on the frame between the door & the sidelites.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Sage

Have you tried Lowe's? They have the doors and measurements for Villages houses, and their installation is reasonable.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Retractable screen

My suggestion is don't install one. We had one on a pre-owned house we purchased. Lots of fiddling, lubricating and adjusting. We finally tossed it after 8 months. My daughter installed one up north in a home with 2 pre-teens. It lasted 2 1/2 months. A neighbor put in one and it lasted until someone walked through it.
Put in a good quality storm/screen door. Not so high tech, but it works!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

We bought ours at Lowe's and its worked fantastic (on a Gardenia). The key, my neighbor suggested, is getting the more expensive model. They carry a cheaper version, and as Jim says, they don't hold up. I think ours ran around $250 installed, and its been well worth it. We also had someone walk thru it, and it just stretched out, then re-bounded back into place. They'll come out and color-match the molding with your house color.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM

we had one installed by Hide-A-Way Screens and love it. Lots of improvements over the Lowes brand. There number is 352-236-8869. Cost was around $390 for the one with the bells and whistles tough stuff.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Gold member

I went to Lowes to buy the "on sale" Larson model, and after looking at the quality of them all, chose a more expensive Larson model. Suggest you look at the latches on each of the models - the "on sale" model had the classic, storm door chintzy latch with the little spring bar that holds the door closed, but I bought one that has an actual doorknob and lockset, and the door is probably 30% heavier. Installation was easy. It took me about 3 hours by myself, and I only needed an assistant when I actually hung the door up on the hook that Larson puts in the frame to make it easy. At the time I said that if I had to do second door, I could do it in less than 2 hours. We love the Larson door, especially the hideaway screen system. And by the way, last I knew Lowes was advertising $99.00 to install a screen door. Probabaly worth every penny. And if you decide to install it yourself, the manufacturer has an excellent video on-line explaining their installation system.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Should work

I installed one on my sister's Gardenia 2 years ago. It is still working, but one of the neighbors almost walk thru it. She put stickers on it. They are not the easiest thing to open. If you do not get a good grip on the handle the spring tension will slam it back.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM

We have one on our resale home. Big problem getting couch in because it narrows the opening to get items in front door. Had to go through back lanai and take off screen door and sliding door.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.