Iris/Lily switched outlet location

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Default Iris/Lily switched outlet location

I have an Iris model home (same floor plan as a Lily) and can't figure out what one of the switches does.

It's the switch in the group of three switches near where the dining room table would normally go, and is surrounded by switches that control the dining room overhead light and the living room fan. It's marked with a red switch plate screw. I understand that this indicates that it controls a switched outlet, however I'm unable to figure out which one it is. I've gone around with an outlet tester checking both of the sockets on all of the outlets nearby and some not so near by, and they're all always powered up, regardless of the position of the switch.

Would one of my fellow Iris/Lily owners please let me know what this mystery switch controls in your home?
Old 11-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.q.pankow View Post
I have an Iris model home (same floor plan as a Lily) and can't figure out what one of the switches does.

It's the switch in the group of three switches near where the dining room table would normally go, and is surrounded by switches that control the dining room overhead light and the living room fan. It's marked with a red switch plate screw. I understand that this indicates that it controls a switched outlet, however I'm unable to figure out which one it is. I've gone around with an outlet tester checking both of the sockets on all of the outlets nearby and some not so near by, and they're all always powered up, regardless of the position of the switch.

Would one of my fellow Iris/Lily owners please let me know what this mystery switch controls in your home?

In my home, that switch controls the outlet in the living room floor, where I plug in the table lamps.

The Iris and the Lilac are paired floor plans, not the Lily.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,240 Posts

There is a switched and unswitched outlet above the cabinet over the fridge. Also data/coax connections so your WiFi router could be put there.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
In my home, that switch controls the outlet in the living room floor, where I plug in the table lamps.

The Iris and the Lilac are paired floor plans, not the Lily.
Thanks! Since I don't use that outlet for anything (at least not yet) I had forgotten about it. Oddly, it seems that the switch was installed upside down! At least that's a problem that I know how to solve when the time comes that I need to.

Also, thanks for the information on the Lilac being our sister home style rather than the Lily.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:42 PM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
There is a switched and unswitched outlet above the cabinet over the fridge. Also data/coax connections so your WiFi router could be put there.
In my home the data/coax outlet is in the backsplash, and neither socket in the outlet seems to be switched (they're both powered up).

Thanks for pointing out the outlet over the cabinets (over the corner cabinet in my case). I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't pointer it out.

This raises another question though -- which switch controls this outlet? I just checked, and both of the sockets in this outlet are powered off!
Old 11-03-2020, 04:28 PM

The plug that's mounted upside down is put that way on purpose a home inspector once told me. At a glance you can tell a switch controls the plug (or one of them).
Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 PM

If you have an electrical outlet box outside, right beside your yard light, check it out for switch location by plugging a lamp or something into it. Last holiday season, after getting all the lights put on the bushes, it seemed that outlet was dead. I (and two helpful neighbor guys) looked for open breakers, checked all the other outlets, and finally got my wife got involved. She very sweetly looked at us and asked what we thought the third switch by the interior front door was for. I had never even noticed it. Turns out that it controls that outside, post outlet for convenience and eliminates the long extension cords. Hate to admit it, but now I tell my wife in advance of any little projects just so we self-appointed "experts" don't waste a lot of time on obvious stuff. If you have three switches inside the front door, make sure you know what all three do, One of them might be for your outdoor outlet.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
In my home the data/coax outlet is in the backsplash, and neither socket in the outlet seems to be switched (they're both powered up).

Thanks for pointing out the outlet over the cabinets (over the corner cabinet in my case). I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't pointer it out.

This raises another question though -- which switch controls this outlet? I just checked, and both of the sockets in this outlet are powered off!
If your home is the same as mine — next to the laundry room door is a double switch. One for the can lights above the rear kitchen counter, and the other for the outlet above the cabinets. When I had under cabinet lights installed, the electrician used that switch to also control the new under cabinet lights.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:41 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Nannyof3 Send a message via AIM to Nannyof3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyof3 Send a message via Skype™ to Nannyof3
Default light switch

could be for the outlet on top of your kitchen cabinets.

Quote:

Old 11-04-2020, 06:51 AM

All switches with the red dot control an outlet regardless of home model.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Default mystery switch

In my Iris, that switch is for one side of the floor outlet in the living room. Took me awhile to find it. That is a 3-way switch which I can use from the front door, dining room, or outside Master Bedroom. Very handy for that table lamp in the livingroom.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

OP, you stated the SWITCH was mounted upside down, the one that controls the floor outlet, look around the house, there may be a second switch controlling the same outlet (called a 3 way switch), this is how our Gardenia is wired.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:36 AM

it is for the floor outlet . It is a three way switch. One by the front door, one by your thermostat and the other the floor outlet.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:47 AM

It’s the outlet in the floor
Old 11-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Look for a living room outlet that has a red dot on it.
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, outlet, room, switches, iris/lily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.