Lanai Draperies?

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Platinum member
Default Lanai Draperies?

Thanks for the links to the fabric websites on another thread!

I want to make some curtains for outside on the lanai, but I don't have any idea what to use to hold them up. Regular drapery rods would rust, wouldn't they? Has anyone been successful putting up their own lanai curtains? I need something to pull across the west side for a few hours in the afternoon in the summer. Any ideas?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Sage

Why don't you look at bamboo roll-up blinds instead of curtains? I would think fabric curtains would get mildewed, besides being difficult to hang.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 AM

you can use wood like the ones used in closets.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Judy. We had outdoor draperies on our lanai in Hadley. They were amazingly inexpensive from Ikea and they did get wet and dried nicely but never mildewed. I washed them every four or five months and rehung them. The drapery rods we purchased at Ikea and Henry hung them easily, but I don't think they were made for outdoors and they were metal, but they hung above the screen and really didn't get soaking wet and never rusted in the three years we were there. The curtains had tabs that attached on the rods and didn't slide easily but we kept them closed for privacy on the end screened area.

Frontgate, or Ballard Design a subdivision of Frontgate has more choices of color and design in outdoor draperies and they also come with those big ring holes with big metal grommets. They are a LOT more expensive too.

Look both places online and see what you think.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Judy. We had outdoor draperies on our lanai in Hadley. They were amazingly inexpensive from Ikea and they did get wet and dried nicely but never mildewed. I washed them every four or five months and rehung them. The drapery rods we purchased at Ikea and Henry hung them easily, but I don't think they were made for outdoors and they were metal, but they hung above the screen and really didn't get soaking wet and never rusted in the three years we were there. The curtains had tabs that attached on the rods and didn't slide easily but we kept them closed for privacy on the end screened area.

Frontgate, or Ballard Design a subdivision of Frontgate has more choices of color and design in outdoor draperies and they also come with those big ring holes with big metal grommets. They are a LOT more expensive too.

Look both places online and see what you think.
Thank you Gracie! I will definitely check out Ikea. My first thought was to use roll-up blinds, or those solar shades, but they're only about 6 feet long. My next thought was draperies that I could make whatever length I needed. I forgot that Ikea has extra-long window coverings, so thanks for reminding me!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.