lanai screen door won't close. Suggestions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts
Default lanai screen door won't close. Suggestions?

My home is a few years old, some things are starting to sag a bit, namely the lanai screen door to the outside patio. Standard metal door, but it's no longer hanging flush.

When I read, it says to make sure the screws are tight in the hinges. They are. I don't really see how a shim on the bottom would help that much, but is that the answer? Or something else.

Seems the fix is easy but I'm just not getting it.
thanks. peace.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I have fixed sagging doors many times by installing shims behind the bottom hinge. It is definitely worth a try. I think ACE Hardware sells plastic shims, but you can also make your own out of cardboard. Install the shims on the door jamb, not on the door.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You could also try and put a wooden tooth pick in the screw holes and refasten. This will tighten up the screw. I am assuming the problem is not caused by settlement.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I need more information. Where is the door hitting? This sounds like there has been some settlement of the lanai, if this is the case, shims may not work. If the top corner away from the hinge is hitting, you would need to LOWER the entire door. The other option would be to install a turnbuckle from the bottom of the door at the HINGE side to the top corner away from the hinge and tighten until the door clears. This may have secondary effects, the screen may get ripples, if you have glass installed in the door it may bind or crack. To lower the door, you need to determine the required additional space at the top of the screen door (maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch, and as mentioned above, remove the screen door, plug the holes, and drill new ones a suitable distance below the original.
Send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk in greater detail, or I could possibly stop by.

Tags
door, lanai, screen, shim, bottom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.