And the Lights Stay on

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts
Default And the Lights Stay on

I installed fan lights onto pre-existing Hunter fans in three rooms. In two rooms they work as expected... The wall switch which is a lighted toggle turns on both the fan and the lights if the chains on the fan/light are set in the on position, and both go off when the wall switch is pushed off. However, in the third room, if both the fan and light chains are in the on position, and I turn off the wall switch viola, the fan goes off but the lights stay on! This wall switch is the only switch that controls the fan, and I note that like the other rooms, there are two black wires to the switch. I don't understand how if the power is off to the fan, it is not off to the lights.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I installed fan lights onto pre-existing Hunter fans in three rooms. In two rooms they work as expected... The wall switch which is a lighted toggle turns on both the fan and the lights if the chains on the fan/light are set in the on position, and both go off when the wall switch is pushed off. However, in the third room, if both the fan and light chains are in the on position, and I turn off the wall switch viola, the fan goes off but the lights stay on! This wall switch is the only switch that controls the fan, and I note that like the other rooms, there are two black wires to the switch. I don't understand how if the power is off to the fan, it is not off to the lights.
I don't think that makes sense either.

Does your Blue Ash refer to your suburb in Cincinnati?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Sage
Default Please there is no offense intended

I hesitate as I type this as I really never wish to offend anyone, so if I am off base I am truly sorry and will take the criticism. My first reaction is that, if you have to ask this you probably should not be playing with AC wiring in your home.

Please be careful.

The secret to the issue must be in the box where the fan is attached??
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You will need to drop the fan as it is wired incorrectly at that connection. You will find a black, white, and blue wire in the ceiling connection box that comes from the fan. Also a black and white feed and a black and white switch leg. The blue wire from the fan which is for the light has been wired directly to the black of the feed. Needs to be moved to the other side of the switch leg from the wall switch.

Somewhere you may have a booklet for the fan that will show how those connections should be made. Not as complicated as it might sound.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Thanks, I can handle that. Would have been nice to have had it correctly wired in the first place. Today's project is hang the chandelier, tomorrow the fan. By the way, no offense taken I'll try not to shock myself.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM

I am always shocked when I work on wiring....shocked that when I am done everything works

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Eternal Member

For some things, hiring a qualified electrician is safer and less expensive (considering the consequences of getting shocked) than DIY.

For some things it is easier to hire someone that knows exactly what he is doing than mucking around for hours and still not getting it right.

Worked for me.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
For some things, hiring a qualified electrician is safer and less expensive (considering the consequences of getting shocked) than DIY.

For some things it is easier to hire someone that knows exactly what he is doing than mucking around for hours and still not getting it right.

Worked for me.

Z
This is good advise, but the question being over a month old the situation may have already been resolved. However, if it's not then Alan Byer 352-205-7504 would be a good choice for the job since he is a master electrican.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.