main water valve shut off switch

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Topspinmo - I believe you..... I don't have one either!

retiredguy123 - how many of the thousands of Villages homes have you been in? I have no doubt you are an expert on everything..... just NOT my home that I have lived in for going on 15 years.
I'm not an expert on everything, and I haven't been in thousands of houses. Just trying to help and learn.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Default Hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not an expert on everything, and I haven't been in thousands of houses. Just trying to help and learn.
Hopefully some have learned that they do not know how to turn off the water to their home should an emergency arrive.

I know that our five year old home has a main shut off, owned by the water company under a square plastic cover in our front lawn. We have a second one in the garage behind a painted rectangular cover low in our garage.

Before you need to shut off the water, you should check to be sure you can turn the valve. Our valve is rather cheap plastic. Before our home was a year old the red plastic handle broke off in my hand. Trying to turn it. jUST THE HANDLE-NO WATER RAN OUT INTO THE GARAGE. The builder sent a plumber, AT NO CHARGE, they shut off the valve under the lawn and replaced the valve in the garage in a higher position so now it is possible to shut it off.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Hopefully some have learned that they do not know how to turn off the water to their home should an emergency arrive.

I know that our five year old home has a main shut off, owned by the water company under a square plastic cover in our front lawn. We have a second one in the garage behind a painted rectangular cover low in our garage.

Before you need to shut off the water, you should check to be sure you can turn the valve. Our valve is rather cheap plastic. Before our home was a year old the red plastic handle broke off in my hand. Trying to turn it. jUST THE HANDLE-NO WATER RAN OUT INTO THE GARAGE. The builder sent a plumber, AT NO CHARGE, they shut off the valve under the lawn and replaced the valve in the garage in a higher position so now it is possible to shut it off.
my 2003 cinder block CYV is the same. Had the same problem when I when on vacation and turned the valve off when I turned it back on it leaked. Disregard the rest got posts mixed up, sorry. “ It’s outside just before the water line enters the garage and after the main meter valve. There are NO water inlet pipe visible in side my house other than sticking out of the wall. There are two ( hot and cold) shut off valves at water heater for replacement of the water heater.”

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-16-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Post misread
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
While I haven't been in thousands of homes here in The Villages, my job takes me to a large number of them. I've been in a wide variety of homes (from 20 years old and new) and am continually surprised by how many homeowners are either unaware of the main water shut-off valve's existence, or its location. I've also seen my share of cabinets, both built in and free standing, not to mention boxes, rubbermaid containers, etc, covering the access panel in the garage. Like another poster mentioned, I have yet to work in a home that didn't have a shut-off inside the residence/garage.
This maybe be true in designer and up and maybe patio villas, but not in my 2003 cinder block CYV.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
my 2003 cinder block CYV is the same. Had the same problem when I when on vacation and turned the valve off when I turned it back on it leaked. Disregard the rest got posts mixed up, sorry. “ It’s outside just before the water line enters the garage and after the main meter valve. There are NO water inlet pipe visible in side my house other than sticking out of the wall. There are two ( hot and cold) shut off valves at water heater for replacement of the water heater.”
If the cold water pipe to the water heater comes through the wall near the top of the water heater and the hot water pipe exits the water heater at the top, then I would say that the valve is not a main water shut off valve to the house. If that is the situation, then you probably don't have a shut off valve inside the house. But, if the pipe comes in near the floor and there is a "tee" connection before the pipe enters the water heater, then the valve closest to the floor is probably a main shut off valve for the house. I hope that makes sense.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If the cold water pipe to the water heater comes through the wall near the top of the water heater and the hot water pipe exits the water heater at the top, then I would say that the valve is not a main water shut off valve to the house. If that is the situation, then you probably don't have a shut off valve inside the house. But, if the pipe comes in near the floor and there is a "tee" connection before the pipe enters the water heater, then the valve closest to the floor is probably a main shut off valve for the house. I hope that makes sense.
Yes it does, my house has no main shutoff in the house, it’s outside and water heater has the two valve coming out of the wall above the water heater.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Yeah what he said.
Closed Thread

Tags
main, switch, valve, water, located

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.