Master Bathroom Doorway

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts
Default Master Bathroom Doorway

Notice - I didn't say "door." I'm looking for ideas, which might even include doors but don't have to.

Like many homes in the Villages with master bedroom suites, ours has a master bathroom with no actual door separating the sink/vanity area from the bedroom itself.

I'm not sure how folks reconcile this, having never had a master bathroom in the bedroom before. But when one of us goes to bed earlier than the other, and the later person needs to wash his face, brush teeth with the electric toothbrush, all the things you'd use a bathroom sink/vanity area for at night...

how do you do this without waking up the person who's sleeping right near the bright light of the vanity area?

Do you use a curtain? Or do you build a door? What about western style double-swinging doors? I'm looking for ideas, hopefully with pictures. And definitely affordable on a limited budget (under $200).
Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Notice - I didn't say "door." I'm looking for ideas, which might even include doors but don't have to.

Like many homes in the Villages with master bedroom suites, ours has a master bathroom with no actual door separating the sink/vanity area from the bedroom itself.

I'm not sure how folks reconcile this, having never had a master bathroom in the bedroom before. But when one of us goes to bed earlier than the other, and the later person needs to wash his face, brush teeth with the electric toothbrush, all the things you'd use a bathroom sink/vanity area for at night...

how do you do this without waking up the person who's sleeping right near the bright light of the vanity area?

Do you use a curtain? Or do you build a door? What about western style double-swinging doors? I'm looking for ideas, hopefully with pictures. And definitely affordable on a limited budget (under $200).
What is the model and age of your home? I work in many homes here and don’t think I’ve ever seen a situation to which you refer.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage

We stayed in a courtyard villa in Fenney that was built like that, and we stayed in a patio villa like that somewhere around St. Charles. Our "new" (old) home in Orange Blossom Hills is a manufactured home, built in 1985. I also check on the Villages Homefinders page to get design ideas all the time and many of the photos are of bedroom/bathroom combos with no door between the bedroom and the sink area. Wherever the walk-in closet comes off of the bathroom, is where I usually see this kind of layout.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

How about a barn door, no need for door, it slides installed on wall, and slides open and closed without much space. Comes in many styles and reasonable
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
How about a barn door, no need for door, it slides installed on wall, and slides open and closed without much space. Comes in many styles and reasonable
That might work, I hadn't even thought of it. Will have to add that to my list of design ideas, thank you so much!
Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have a pocket door so we can slide it if we want but generally if one of us is asleep, it does not bother us to have the light on. We sleep with the tv on so other things are not an issue.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
That might work, I hadn't even thought of it. Will have to add that to my list of design ideas, thank you so much!
Your welcome, even if you need to put furniture in from of the slide you only need about 3 inches from the wall. A pocket door is fabulous, however not in the budget you are looking at.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage

Yeah we would've been set with a pocket door. But the barn door idea is basically the same, except inside out (and much less expensive)!
Closed Thread

Tags
master, bathroom, bedroom, door, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.