Mounting flat screen on wall?

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Sage

Very nice - looks to be on an interior wall; the original question was about mounting on an exterior block wall.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Very nice - looks to be on an interior wall; the original question was about mounting on an exterior block wall.

Yes, it is on an interior wall. From what I understood, there are some form of studs or furring strips on the exterior walls, and a mount could be attached with sheet rock screws or lags, if they were studs. I was trying to point out that a 115 lb TV could be hung on metal studs, so they should be able to hang theirs on the exterior wall. Since the majority of TV's sold today are very light (LCD-light, LED-lighter), I was assuming that's what was going to be hung. Sorry for assuming.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
As you can see in the picture, we have an audio cabinet beneath the wall mounted TV, which is where we have the Directv receiver, BluRay, and AV receiver. If you look closely, you'll see wall mounted speakers on the side of TV and below it. You can reach Jay at: Office 352-669-6281 or Cell 352-516-7900

The Villages Florida
Nice set-up. I like the idea of the built-in speakers.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
As you can see in the picture, we have an audio cabinet beneath the wall mounted TV, which is where we have the Directv receiver, BluRay, and AV receiver. If you look closely, you'll see wall mounted speakers on the side of TV and below it. You can reach Jay at: Office 352-669-6281 or Cell 352-516-7900

The Villages Florida
Nice.
I like the speaker set-up. What Brand/Model are the speakers?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran member

Hi KayakerNC, The speakers are Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series MC300 In-Wall Speakers, and I have a Cambridge 100 watt subwoofer with them. I have the 3 in the wall, and 4 in the ceiling. There are more expensive speakers out there, but for the money, Cambridge makes a really nice product. I have been using them for years, and not only do they sound good, they last. If you do a google on them, you might get them even cheaper on Amazon. You are welcome to come over and audition them, just pm me.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com...Rank=salesrank
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

I seldom see the point in it as many people hang it on the wall and then have to put some sort of cabinet under it anyway to hold the cable box, DVD player and audio system. I just stand mine up on the audio/TV cabinet. Hanging it up will not save me any space and quite frankly some people do not mount them at eye level because they look funny at that height so you end up with neck aches looking up at the screen. Of course if you are not going to put any furniture under the TV then it makes sense.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I seldom see the point in it as many people hang it on the wall and then have to put some sort of cabinet under it anyway to hold the cable box, DVD player and audio system. I just stand mine up on the audio/TV cabinet. Hanging it up will not save me any space and quite frankly some people do not mount them at eye level because they look funny at that height so you end up with neck aches looking up at the screen. Of course if you are not going to put any furniture under the TV then it makes sense.
We have our TV mounted on the wall but didn't want any furniture under it so we purchsed a wall mounted stand for the Receiever/Vcr. Like it a lot.
Attached Images
wall-mount-jpg 

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

On the concrete and block homes, the exterior walls are furred out with 1x3 furring strips, generally located at 24' on center. the material between the furring is 1" (3/4") rigid foam insulation.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Smile

If you are mounting it outside and the wall is stucco you need Tapcon screws. Drill the wholes with the masonry bit then screw in with Tapcon screws. after that you will be able to hang on it. I work all over the Villages helping people. Good luck on your project if you need detailed info email me directly.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zass38 View Post
On the concrete and block homes, the exterior walls are furred out with 1x3 furring strips, generally located at 24' on center. the material between the furring is 1" (3/4") rigid foam insulation.
So how is the sheet rock screwed into the wall? Through a 1X3 which is 3/4 inch thick into foam so that the sheet rock screw does not hit the concrete block? Please tell me I'm missing something. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
So how is the sheet rock screwed into the wall? Through a 1X3 which is 3/4 inch thick into foam so that the sheet rock screw does not hit the concrete block? Please tell me I'm missing something. Thanks!
The furring strip (wood board) is secured to the concrete with a tapcon screw (masonry screw) and installed every 24 inch's on center. Then the foam is cut and installed between the furring strips, then the drywall is screwed to the furring strips to support and hold the drywall.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.