Mowing my own lawn.

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I love mowing my lawn. I do not bag as I was told not to. I bought a Toro Recycler four years ago and it still runs great and starts on the first pull every time.

The Villages Florida

I also put down Scott's weed and feed and other Scott's products and a regular basis.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Gold member
Default For my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I've got one last season of leaf-raking and possible snow-shoveling before I retire and am NOT going to miss either of those. However, I do think I'll miss mowing the lawn. I'm currently paying someone to mow the lawn on my house in The Villages (which I'm renting out) and that kind of goes against my grain. For the yearly price of that, I think I could buy a decent battery-powered mower and weed-whacker combo. I could bring down my current gas mower and whacker but I'd like to give up the noise and smell for a battery set. Of course, once I get there, I might well find that giving any up my precious fun time might be just too much to do and could end up continuing to pay a service. Only time will tell!
I do the chemicals-fert and occasional insect control. We have a 5,000 sq foot lawn-IT IS NO BIG DEAL-once you figure out what to do when.
We too are former northerners. I've attended several of the cooperative extension talks about lawn care etc. Best quote from one of the speakers was if you are from the north forget everything you thought you knew. The southern grasses are completely different. You have either empire zoysia or St Augustine. You had a six month growing season and here it is ten months.
RE: MOWER
Like anything else there will be many different opinions.
You garage or tool shed will not be temperature controlled.
Right now I will guess my garage is over 100. Batteries are quickly destroyed at that heat and they are expensive to replace. For a gas engine. If you have an older mower like a briggs and stratton side valve, the entire lubrication of the engine is a simple spoon to splash the oil. On a hill such as we all have between houses the lubrication is at best marginal. The newer engines on better mowers will have a pressure lube system similar to an automobile.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Platinum member
Default Helps me meditate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
We live on a street with 21 homes. Until recent, my hubby and Bosoxfan have been doing it themselves and now after dealing with several of "the best" local lawn companies, we now have 5 other homeowners who cut their own grass.

Guess whose yards look better? Also it's good exercise and I think they actually enjoy it.

My hubby has electric 40 volt "greenworks" mower, edger, trimmer etc. They don't take up that much space and hubby is happy to spend the time to getting a bit of exercise.
I too take care of our yard. I never let it become such a chore that I resent doing it. Trimming the shrubs, edgin or mowing I learned to do it at my own pace, drink lots of water and relax.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Sage

This is nonsense. Unless you are spending significant amounts of time at an extreme angle, and then the pickup for pump based lubrication system may be out of the oil, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I do the chemicals-fert and occasional insect control. We have a 5,000 sq foot lawn-IT IS NO BIG DEAL-once you figure out what to do when.
We too are former northerners. I've attended several of the cooperative extension talks about lawn care etc. Best quote from one of the speakers was if you are from the north forget everything you thought you knew. The southern grasses are completely different. You have either empire zoysia or St Augustine. You had a six month growing season and here it is ten months.
RE: MOWER
Like anything else there will be many different opinions.
You garage or tool shed will not be temperature controlled.
Right now I will guess my garage is over 100. Batteries are quickly destroyed at that heat and they are expensive to replace. For a gas engine. If you have an older mower like a briggs and stratton side valve, the entire lubrication of the engine is a simple spoon to splash the oil. On a hill such as we all have between houses the lubrication is at best marginal. The newer engines on better mowers will have a pressure lube system similar to an automobile.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernaldio View Post
Will be moving to the Villages in April....do many people mow their own yards?
I've lived in The Villages for 16 years and less than 5% of the residents mow their own lawns. For about $55 per month you can hire any one of dozens of reputable lawn service folks.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookestwo View Post
I've lived in The Villages for 16 years and less than 5% of the residents mow their own lawns. For about $55 per month you can hire any one of dozens of reputable lawn service folks.
I have no idea if your number is accurate for all of TV, but it's not even close on my street. I and most of my immediate neighbors do our own lawns. Has little to do with cost, at least for me.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

We ripped out our lawn, covered the yard in gravel, and treated with Agent Orange.
Never had to touch it since, and we can sit and watch the five legged racoons play in the evenings!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

I mow my own lawn. The people you hire don't clean their mowers between yards and this can be a source of weeds, insects, and fungal diseases that will affect your own lawn. They also may not sharpen their mower blades that often. Dull blades shred the grass instead of cutting it cleanly and this can allow the entrance of disease organisms. The lawn crews mow lawns at whatever length they choose rather than following University of Florida/IFAS recommendations. For example, zoysia should be mowed at 2 to 2.5 inches. The blades should be sharpened, if you do your own lawn, two to three times a season. I mulch my grass most of the time except early in the year when I scalp the lawn to remove some of the dead grass.

I love mowing my own lawn. I also do all my own yard work. Keeps me in great shape and I don't need to go to a gym.It looks like a green carpet and sets off all my planting beds very nicely. Obviously it is one of my hobbies!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Mulching is fine.
thats what I say also. as long as i mow before it gets too high mulching works fine. But when you let it get to high then mulching doesn't work and bogs down on the turn....but I never bag.....much to much work.....I just blow the piles around until there gone.....the lazy way....

we spent the extra to get the self propelled motor. I just start it up, aim and hold on...it does the rest.

great exercise.....and like he said.....use the cash for other things....
Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
There was another thread on this forum. You will hear from both sides, those that do it themselves and those who have a lawn company take care of it. I sold my mower, string trimmer and blower shortly after moving here. We have a relatively good sized lot, and when I retired here, I retired from cutting the grass as well. Its nice to not have to worry about it, and our crew (MiCo) does a fantastic job, including edging and weeding. To me its well worth the $70 a month (they come weekly, year round). They have never not shown up, and I could not be happier. To each their own, but I prefer not to have to store the mower, blower, edger, etc.
Hi do you have a phone number for MiCo if so email it to us. pnb900@msn.com THANK YOU,
Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Since you love it, I am willing to let you cut mine. I would love watching you work.
You obviously didn't read my post carefully enough. I said, "I enjoy mowing MY lawn.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Gold member
Default As i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
This is nonsense. Unless you are spending significant amounts of time at an extreme angle, and then the pickup for pump based lubrication system may be out of the oil, it doesn't matter.
You may know motorcycles but, THERE IS NO PICKUP for the oil pump on older lawn mowers as THERE IS NO OIL PUMP.
As I said it is nothing more than a spoon to splash oil.

LOOK UP A PARTS DIAGRAM.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, april, mow, yards, lawn, moving, mowing, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.