Need help with gas stove leak

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Default ...

Last edited by royr; 09-28-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Please delete this thread
Old 09-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Call the Gas Company Immediately. In N.J. this is a high priority no charge service call. Get out of the house now.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Gas is treated with Mecuroid (?), I did some work back up north, made the mistake of putting my finger inside the gas pipe, and I smelled like a gas leak for 2-3 days.
Now having stated this, call the fire department (Non emergency), and have them check for a gas leak, just in case you did something wrong. If all is well, then I am guessing that you have lots of the mercuroid (?) in your house.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AND GET EXPERT HELP.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Sage

Very helpful Villagetinker. You always help people in a very kind manner & accurately. Very good advice sir.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:54 PM

If you need a meter and still want it we have one you can use
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Thanks. I will try the yellow Teflon or pipe sealer. If I still have a problem, I may need to borrow it from you.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by royr View Post
Thanks. I will try the yellow Teflon or pipe sealer. If I still have a problem, I may need to borrow it from you.

If you still have a problem, please call the fire department. They know a LOT about stuff like this and are trained to fix things. You shouldn't have been mad at the person who said to leave your home immediately. Most people would have said the same. I also think it isn't a DIY project.

Read this. There are four things they respond to and one is hazardous materials.
Fire and Emergency Medical Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

PLEASE Listen. Please.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-27-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Sage

Its ok. Sometimes when your trying your best to fix something it can get frustrating. We take no offense from your reply. We are very nice helpful...give you the shirt off our back type of people. We also live by the motto of safety first. My grandson just was taught in school last week to stop, drop & roll so safety items had just been renewed in our minds in the past several days. We told this little boy if he smelled gas to get his mom or dad immediately and get ready to leave the house quickly and to not turn light switches on or off as this could ignite the gas fumes. He turns lights off in rooms that nobody is sitting in because it's the way we schooled him. I just hope that the gas leak was solved simply without a major event.

Last edited by Nucky; 09-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Dear Royr:

It sounds like you know how to fix things so I know you know that natural gas has no smell of its own, and that the smell is added to let the nose know when there is a potential safety issue.

Please take the advice given by the posters here who are trying to help you out of concern for your safety and the safety of those around you. Not only is there the obvious risk of explosion, but a gas leak can cause mental and physical changes in those living with it.

I hope you will get this checked immediately by the fire department or utilities, even if you no longer smell it.

(I have a nose like a hound dog and have sniffed gas leaks before anybody else knew. And I always tell when I smell them. I once called a utility when I smelled gas while driving down a street. They were glad I did and next thing I knew there was a crew setting up to work on that street. Sometimes I think I should have been a perfumer. (Sigh) But instead I just go around telling people they have gas leaks. With my odd gift comes odd responsibility. I once really ticked off a chef who was teaching -- and gassing a class.)

I digress....I guess my point is that it seems to be my curse, or whatever it is, to tune in to gas leaks and follow up with unsolicited advice. I take my chances......So anyway, Roy, please take the good and kind advice given by previous posters and me, too.

Boomer
Old 09-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Dear Royr:

It sounds like you know how to fix things so I know you know that natural gas has no smell of its own, and that the smell is added to let the nose know when there is a potential safety issue.

Please take the advice given by the posters here who are trying to help you out of concern for your safety and the safety of those around you. Not only is there the obvious risk of explosion, but a gas leak can cause mental and physical changes in those living with it.

I hope you will get this checked immediately by the fire department or utilities, even if you no longer smell it.

(I have a nose like a hound dog and have sniffed gas leaks before anybody else knew. And I always tell when I smell them. I once called a utility when I smelled gas while driving down a street. They were glad I did and next thing I knew there was a crew setting up to work on that street. Sometimes I think I should have been a perfumer. (Sigh) But instead I just go around telling people they have gas leaks. With my odd gift comes odd responsibility. I once really ticked off a chef who was teaching -- and gassing a class.)

I digress....I guess my point is that it seems to be my curse, or whatever it is, to tune in to gas leaks and follow up with unsolicited advice. I take my chances......So anyway, Roy, please take the good and kind advice given by previous posters and me, too.

Boomer

Your unique gift may be a curse to you, but it is a blessing to others....not all of whom will appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Dear Royr:

Boomer
And why do they call you Boomer?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
And why do they call you Boomer?

I have this picture in my mind.....
Old 10-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Sooner maybe?
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, stove, back, line, leak, leaking, tested, leaks, place, found, smell, problem, teflon, yellow, put, threads, compression, fittings, diagnosing, borrow, diagnose, appreciated, royrowlett@earthlink.net, 352-459-5700, roy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.