Need Help to Joint&Plane Pine 2X12 & 2x10's

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Red face Need Help to Joint&Plane Pine 2X12 & 2x10's

I need a Hero,

I want to make 2 Entry Doors for my home, and need help from someone with a jointer, and 13" planer.

Thank you,
Dancing Queen

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 07-28-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification misspelling
Old 07-23-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
I need a Hero,

I want to make 2 Entry Doors for my home, and need help getting the Pine boards I buy jointed, and planed.

Thank you,
Dancing Queen
What kind of vehicle do you have?

I can get 10 foot boards and PVC pipes in my Honda Accord. The back folds down and slide the boards in all way to windshield. 8 footer are piece of cake.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I am pretty sure there is a well equipped wood working club here, I don't know where or how to contact, but I expect someone in. it could do it for you?
Old 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I am pretty sure there is a well equipped wood working club here, I don't know where or how to contact, but I expect someone in. it could do it for you?

Between 466 and 441 on rolling acres road by the golf practice driving range.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Dancing Queen,

I am not sure PINE is a good wood for front enter door, unless to are going to do a lot of work to keep moisture and insects out of the wood.
Assuming that you want the boards planed AFTER they are glued you are looking for a very large planer, I have never seen anything that large outside of an industrial setting.
IMHO, I have seen some large pre-glued panels at Lowe's that might suit your needs, these are typically used for tables, and if these are not thick enough, you could glue 2 together to get the additional thickness.
I would contact the Villages Woodworking club and talk your project over with them as they may have some ideas to help you.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:12 AM
Default Huge waiting list for woodworking club use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Dancing Queen,

I am not sure PINE is a good wood for front enter door, unless to are going to do a lot of work to keep moisture and insects out of the wood.
Assuming that you want the boards planed AFTER they are glued you are looking for a very large planer, I have never seen anything that large outside of an industrial setting.
IMHO, I have seen some large pre-glued panels at Lowe's that might suit your needs, these are typically used for tables, and if these are not thick enough, you could glue 2 together to get the additional thickness.
I would contact the Villages Woodworking club and talk your project over with them as they may have some ideas to help you.
*♀️Thank you, you are always the voice of reason.

Boards are squared & planed first, before mortise & tennons are cut, then pieced together. Light sanding, and coat with primer & paint, or Spar, or Marine varnish.

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 07-28-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-28-2021, 10:24 AM
Default Thank you for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
What kind of vehicle do you have?

I can get 10 foot boards and PVC pipes in my Honda Accord. The back folds down and slide the boards in all way to windshield. 8 footer are piece of cake.
Thank you.
I corrected my post, so it does not sound like I need help getting the boards, as I do not. What I need someone with a 13" planer & a jointer, to square the boards & plane them to a uniform thickness.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
Thank you.
I corrected my post, so it does not sound like I need help getting the boards, as I do not. What I need someone with a 13" planer & a jointer, to square the boards & plane them to a uniform thickness.
I am not sure what you are buying, but I have seen boards that are already plained and slightly larger then your requirements at Lowe's and Home Depot. If you can get away with these, then you will need a biscuit cutter and biscuits large clamps (pipe clamps) and bracing to keep boards flat. My clamps might be wide enough and I have steel to clamp boards flat, but no biscuit cutter. I may have suitable bits with the router, not sure.
Send me a PM if you would like to discuss over then phone, I could give you a call.

Tags
pine, home, dancing, planed, jointed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.