Need Help with Samsung TV Problem

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 AM
Default Need Help with Samsung TV Problem

Neighbors,

I am hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with a Samsung TV. This TV is unusual as the main video input to the TV is a proprietary Samsung cable that connects to a small device called a "One Connect Mini". All of the standard HDMI and USB input ports are located on this "One Connect Mini". The TV itself does not have any HDMI or USB inputs. I suspect that my proprietary cable or my "One Connect Mini" are broken. The TV itself works fine when I get the input signal wirelessly from my home router (e.g. Amazon prime video, Hulu, Netflix, etc.).

However, as soon as I plug the proprietary cable into the TV, the TV display goes black and the TV goes into a reset loop where it clicks and the on/off light blinks. This occurs regardless of whether the One Connect Mini is connected to the other end of the cable or not. Once the proprietary cable is removed from the TV, the TV goes back to functioning correctly with the wireless inputs.

I am hoping that someone in The Villages has a Samsung TV that uses the One Connect Mini box and proprietary cable. I would like to bring my box and cable to your house, attach them to your TV, and see if your TV then functions properly or not. If not, then this clearly indicates that my One Connect Mini and/or proprietary cable are broken. If the TV does function properly, this would indicate that it is something in my TV input that is broken.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this. Leave me a message here if you can help and we can work out the time/place. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,230 Posts

OP, you could also Google the Samsung model number for this type of trouble, you might find an answer.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM

Seems to be a common problem. Some of the suggestions in this thread on the AVS forum may help.

Samsung JS8500 Endless Reboot Issues with One Connect Mini | AVS Forum
Old 10-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

You can buy a new Samsung one connect mini device on Amazon for $142. If that doesn't solve your problem, you can return it.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Thanks, folks. You can also buy Samsung One Connect Mini devices on Ebay used for ~$25 and new "open box" for ~$50. However, my apology for not being clear. I am not looking for recommendations for someone to fix the problem. I am not looking for online ideas on how to fix the problem....yet. At this stage, I am solely looking to diagnose if the problem is with the TV or with the One Connect Mini/cable. To do this, I need to find someone with a functioning Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Mini/cable and is willing to let me try my box/cable on their TV. This is the best (maybe only reasonable) way to determine where the problem lies.

If the problem is with the TV, I will then take it apart and try to fix it. If the problem is with the One Connect Mini, I will do the same for it. If the problem is with the cable, I will buy a new cable since cables are not very "fixable".

So, if anyone has a Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Mini box to attach all video sources (e.g. HDMI, USB sources) and would be willing to work with me on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, you could also Google the Samsung model number for this type of trouble, you might find an answer.
Villagetinker, Thanks for the idea. I am the person you helped a couple years ago unsolder the transistor from a circuit board of another TV and solder in a new one. That fix worked great. Thanks for the past help.

In this case, I am not yet looking for "fixes". I am still at the diagnosis stage of the problem and need to determine where the fault lies (One Connect Mini box, cable, or TV). If you come across anyone with a Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Mini and who would be willing to let me try hooking my box and cable to their TV, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

Good luck getting someone to let you into their house during a pandemic!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 AM

Call Geek Squad
Old 10-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default I hate to sound snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
Thanks, folks. You can also buy Samsung One Connect Mini devices on Ebay used for ~$25 and new "open box" for ~$50. However, my apology for not being clear. I am not looking for recommendations for someone to fix the problem. I am not looking for online ideas on how to fix the problem....yet. At this stage, I am solely looking to diagnose if the problem is with the TV or with the One Connect Mini/cable. To do this, I need to find someone with a functioning Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Mini/cable and is willing to let me try my box/cable on their TV. This is the best (maybe only reasonable) way to determine where the problem lies.

If the problem is with the TV, I will then take it apart and try to fix it. If the problem is with the One Connect Mini, I will do the same for it. If the problem is with the cable, I will buy a new cable since cables are not very "fixable".

So, if anyone has a Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Mini box to attach all video sources (e.g. HDMI, USB sources) and would be willing to work with me on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
but don’t you have any friends ,good luck with a stranger letting you plug into his /her set
Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
but don’t you have any friends ,good luck with a stranger letting you plug into his /her set
Certainly I have friends. Unfortunately, I do not have any friends who own a Samsung TV that uses the One Connect Mini box/cable which is what is required. I cannot use just any TV.

Sure, the covid issue makes it less likely that someone will be available for this but it does not eliminate the possibility. It is still worth asking. If no one can be found, then I can explore other options.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, connect, mini, proprietary, samsung

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.