Noisy Vent Fan

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Default Noisy Vent Fan

Like many others, I was bothered by a noisy vent fan in both baths. Wind gusts from a certain direction produced a clanking sound day & night. The Villages guarantee dept. quickly informed me that there was no cure possible. Examination proved them wrong. Thirty minutes and a little lead weight on the flapper valve cured the problem. No noise now for 6 months. More detals if there is interest.
Steve
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I'm interested, that noise is a pain.
Does't the flap need to work at times?
give us the scoop, Steve

great idea
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

also, everyone has this issue, maybe you can share your fix with The Villages and suggest they just modify the valve in the first place,
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Platinum member

Clod,

You could start your own little business. I for one cannot get up on the roof. I have just ignored the banging. Your fix would be appreciated so I could let my handy man know.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Founder

The way the professionals fix the noise, is to remove the flapper. It takes about 30 seconds. Pull the cover down, unsnap the flapper. Throw it into the garbage can.

JLK
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The way the professionals fix the noise, is to remove the flapper. It takes about 30 seconds. Pull the cover down, unsnap the flapper. Throw it into the garbage can.

JLK
Exactly what I did only the way mine was built I had to remove the fan and motor to get to the flapper. Working over your head with a 10' ceiling is a pain - but removing that flapper does the trick.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You can buy lead tape from any golf supply place that has a sticky back. Full down the vent, add a strip of tape about 1 inch long to the vent flap, make sure it still opens fully when fan is turned on, but stays closed in the wind. About one inch seems to work well. Add more if required. Removing the flap allows cold air to come in during the winter. Adding a strip of tape solves the flap noise issue and still allows it to work properly.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
You can buy lead tape from any golf supply place that has a sticky back. Full down the vent, add a strip of tape about 1 inch long to the vent flap, make sure it still opens fully when fan is turned on, but stays closed in the wind. About one inch seems to work well. Add more if required. Removing the flap allows cold air to come in during the winter. Adding a strip of tape solves the flap noise issue and still allows it to work properly.
Sounds like a good solution.

I wonder if I could chase down that garbage truck that hauled off my flappers in 2008?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM

In CYV's the fan vents into the attic, maybe some have a roof vent. Either way there is no need to get in the attic or on the roof.Turn off the fan first. The trim ring & fan are easy to remove, just a couple of screws. The fan body must be gently pried out. Looking at the flapper you will see that it stays open normally. Maybe bad design or angle. When wind blows & pressure goes uo in the attic the flapper shuts, causing the noise. If you have a ceiling fan there is some lead tape in the kitchen drawer. As suggested, stick a 1/2 - 1" piece (cuts with scissors) on the lower edge of the flapper so it now closes normally. For insurance you can also stick a small piece of felt at the bottom of the housing where the flapper hit. Replace the fan & trim. Now the flapper will be closed normally- no noise with the wind, no cold air. The vent function will work as normal if you did not put too much weight on it. Over six months so far & no noise!
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

clod, thanks for the step by step! I will attempt to do it next time I am down at our villa.

Army Guy
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM

If needed, I will be glad to come by & offer advice & moral support. For informational purpose only, remember my favorite motto: "Will work for wine."

Steve
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Default Flapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Clod,

You could start your own little business. I for one cannot get up on the roof. I have just ignored the banging. Your fix would be appreciated so I could let my handy man know.
You don't have to get up on roof. The repair is done from the inside.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.