Over the counter microwave replacement

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Over the counter microwave replacement

Has anyone replaced an over the counter microwave? I'm wondering if it's a one man job or will I need help with the mounting of the unit. Most weigh in at about 50+ pounds which is kind of unwieldy considering the bulk.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Default Over the counter microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdees View Post
Has anyone replaced an over the counter microwave? I'm wondering if it's a one man job or will I need help with the mounting of the unit. Most weigh in at about 50+ pounds which is kind of unwieldy considering the bulk.

Just had to replace ours. You need two people. The microwave is mounted and held in place with two lag bolts that are in the cabinet that is on top of your microwave. Very hard to support 50 lbs with one arm and driving a screw way above your head with the other. You need at least 3 hands. I only have two!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I agree that it is much easier with two people. I have done it alone by blocking up the old unit from the stove top by placing a moving pad on the stove then using a stool and some 2X4 blocking. Then remove the supporting bolts and sliding the old unit out. Install the new one the same way.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Sage

If you have to do it yourself, slide the range out, and you can support the new unit on your shoulder.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it went.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Just had mine done by Home Depot, they had 2 men come out and the installation was free. They also don't charge tax if they install the unit, couldn't figure that one out.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No tax when it is part of the real estate.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Many older units are wired directly to the unit but the new units require that an electrical outlet be installed above the unit for the plug. You can use the wiring that feeds the old unit.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum member

One more thing to watch out for: Virtually all over-counter microwaves are the exact same width, so they fit nicely into the original space, but the height varies by as much as couple of inches. This may pose a problem if you have a finished backsplash area with tile, etc. The new unit may leave an unsightly gap at the top of the backsplash or there may not be enough space to mount the microwave flush to the wall.

Old, old rule: measure everything first!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post

Old, old rule: measure everything first!

Measure twice, cut once.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM

I was with Whirlpool Corp. for 25 years and one of my last assignments was managing the customer service end of the business in all the western states (this included service personnel, technicians). Although not technically competent myself I did accompany technicians to many customer's homes and either observed or assisted in a lot of repairs. I did have technicians who could replace an over-the-range micro by themselves but they always had some "specialized" tools they had devised. Usually this combined a perfectly sized milk crate to hold the micro and a wealth of experience. Therefore, I agree that this is 99% of the time a two-person job.

WORD OF WARNING: When removing the old unit be extremely careful to avoid the capacitor inside the control panel. These store LARGE amounts of electricity and if not properly discharged before you come in contact they may seriously injure you or can even cause death. If you know the unit needs replacement work only on the exterior. Good luck and be careful. These are NOT toys.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

I'll keep a wide berth with the electricals on the inside. I'll handle the exterior only. Thanks for the warning. Every over the counter I could find on line is larger than the one I'm replacing. I found a few that were only an inch or slightly more higher than the old one. I'll have to see how the template lines up when I pull the old one out. If it overlaps the tiled backsplash, I may have to get creative.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Replace Microwave

Having replaced 3 units in my lifetime I suggest:
1. 4 hands much better than 2, especially if the fit is tight
2. Protect the surface below the unit with something heavy in case something drops, or better yet move the stove if applicable. Break a glass topped stove and you'll need a new stove too. Or chip the paint from a dropped tool and your wife will never be happy with the damage counter or stove again.
3. Replace with same mfgr and nearest replacement model. The odds are the old mounting brackets will work. Better yet remove the old one before buying the replacement to see whats really there and shop to match.
4 If you have an outside vent be sure that the vent outlet in the replacement is an exact match. Its no fun cutting new cabinet shelve openings or wall openings.
5. Double masking tape the cabinet edges around the opening to protect from possible scratches when trying to fit the new unit in.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Measure twice, cut once.

I already cut it three times and it is still to short.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I already cut it three times and it is still to short.
"Measure once, cut twice".........that's always been my motto, which explains why I screw up on a number of things!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.