Painting Gutters

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts
Default Painting Gutters

I have done research on painting gutters, ours are chalking. I have found several resources on internet sites, and also discussed with Sherwin Williams paints, so I understand the requirements for a good paint job.

My question is: has anyone had this done successfully, specifically the painting was done a few years ago and still looks good? If so, can you recommend the company that did the work? I am debating this as a DIY versus contractor.

Thank you, VT
Old 12-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have done research on painting gutters, ours are chalking. I have found several resources on internet sites, and also discussed with Sherwin Williams paints, so I understand the requirements for a good paint job.

My question is: has anyone had this done successfully, specifically the painting was done a few years ago and still looks good? If so, can you recommend the company that did the work? I am debating this as a DIY versus contractor.

Thank you, VT
Is your gutters in good shape?
Do they leak anywhere?

Replacement is relativity cheap especially if their old enough to chalk.

Also, if you decide to paint them, that chalking has to removed to get a good seal.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:38 PM

If it was me and they looked bad, I'd just replace them. Just to purchase the chemicals and materials to remove the chalk, primer and paint would be a few hundred dollars. Then how many hours would you spend doing the work and on a ladder. And if you paid someone to do it, how much would that cost? How long before you would need to do it again? What if the paint peels instead of chalks next year or so?

Just replace them and be good for the next 10 years or more.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Sage

Gutters are in great condition, no leaks or mechanical damage. I am actually looking hopefully for a finish that will last longer than the original finish, I really do not look forward to replacing every few years.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Have you considered trying to see if a good wax will bring their luster back? Can’t imagine it would be anymore effort than prepping, priming and painting.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

I have thought about repainting our gutters as well. They are also chalking. I am interested in the prep process to remove the chalking. Also, any guesses on the cost for both repainting or replacing approximately 100 feet of guttering?
Old 12-19-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I have thought about repainting our gutters as well. They are also chalking. I am interested in the prep process to remove the chalking. Also, any guesses on the cost for both repainting or replacing approximately 100 feet of guttering?
Replacing cost depends on the size of the gutter and length. 6 inch gutter is more expensive than 5 inch but handles 30% to 40% more water. I had about 120 ft of 6 inch gutter and 2 downspouts installed for about a grand. The Gutter Guys did the installation.

Removing the chalking will require mild soap and a lot of scrubbing. You might could use a little less scrubbing if using a solution of TSP but TSP requires some safety precautions and you have to be careful with what is below you and whether you want to kill it or not. You might could also use a pressure washer but I would be afraid that I would shoot water under the shingles or into the soffit, or damage shingles/siding with a pressure washer. And if you have vinyl siding, it is easy to force water under/behind the siding with a pressure washer.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I painted all our downspouts when repainting our house 2+ years ago. Just cleaned the white original finish and used the highly rated grade Behr Ultra satin exterior latex. Same that I used on our stucco sides. Did the whole house, very pleased and the downspouts blend right in. Did not paint the gutters.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I painted all our downspouts when repainting our house 2+ years ago. Just cleaned the white original finish and used the highly rated grade Behr Ultra satin exterior latex. Same that I used on our stucco sides. Did the whole house, very pleased and the downspouts blend right in. Did not paint the gutters.
Most Latex paints contain ammonia and and this is a definite NO NO for aluminum, as there can be a chemical reaction that causes bubbles. I hope this holds up for you.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:45 AM

I painted our gutters up north at the same time and with the same paint that we used on the rest of the house (Benjamin Moore) They were chalking. Only prep was a power wash. No peeling occurred. They did have to be repainted each time we painted the house - 5 to 7 years - but just to brighten them up.
I wouldn’t worry about it or get too wrapped up in prep work.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:11 AM

I have been down this road before, lived in FL since 1976.Once gutters discolor because of mold, mildew, theres nothing that will effectively remove the staining. Not even pressure washing.I have seen your posts in the past and know you are highly proficient in the refinishing process .Use the same epoxy paint used on aircraft & yachts.( Awlgrip. Alumagrip)
The stuff is really expensive, and I don't know if available in spray cans.Unfortunately, the prep process is arduous. ( acid wash, prime, lighty sand, first.And masking off and taping pretty time consuming.Just is not worth the trouble.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:26 AM
Default Paint gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Gutters are in great condition, no leaks or mechanical damage. I am actually looking hopefully for a finish that will last longer than the original finish, I really do not look forward to replacing every few years.
Gutters are made of aluminum and will chalk after several years I have painted them myself in the past best to clean them first and the best way to clean them as with spic and span and a sponge it’ll take the tracking us away rinse them off and apply any good latex paint the higher the gloss The longer it will last
Old 12-20-2021, 08:41 AM

I am in the process of eliminating gutters on our house. We have lots of trees and I am sick if constantly having to clean them out.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:59 AM

I cleaned with chloride and painted with spray cans of Rustoleum.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:14 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

I do not have any suggestions for you but I do have a question about gutter material. In NY we have copper gutters. When installed they are bright copper that develops a patina over time and turns a green color that somehow goes with any color home & does not need paint. Would copper work in FL?
Closed Thread

Tags
painting, good, gutters, ago, specifically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.