Painting Gutters

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 03:56 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Gutter Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have done research on painting gutters, ours are chalking. I have found several resources on internet sites, and also discussed with Sherwin Williams paints, so I understand the requirements for a good paint job.

My question is: has anyone had this done successfully, specifically the painting was done a few years ago and still looks good? If so, can you recommend the company that did the work? I am debating this as a DIY versus contractor.

Thank you, VT
Just power wash your gutters until they are completly clean and paint them with Sherwin williams Direct to Metal acrylic paint. I have jobs up north over 20 years old, they're faded but not peeling. My Garage door down here is also holding up well, Just repainted due to fading After 10 years. Len
Old 12-20-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Just power wash your gutters until they are completly clean and paint them with Sherwin williams Direct to Metal acrylic paint. I have jobs up north over 20 years old, they're faded but not peeling. My Garage door down here is also holding up well, Just repainted due to fading After 10 years. Len
This is interesting as I was at a Sherwin Williams store when I was asking about painting the gutters, and this option was never mentioned.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
I do not have any suggestions for you but I do have a question about gutter material. In NY we have copper gutters. When installed they are bright copper that develops a patina over time and turns a green color that somehow goes with any color home & does not need paint. Would copper work in FL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
I am in the process of eliminating gutters on our house. We have lots of trees and I am sick if constantly having to clean them out.
So, are looking forward to drainage problems
Old 12-21-2021, 05:59 AM

Painting gutters always ends in disaster. Jerk the old ones off and recycle them. Install new seamless ones. Anything else is doomed in the end. No matter the quality of paint or quality of paint application: Painted aluminum is doomed to fail and look terrible. Don't be that house.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Sage

My gutter’s are 19 years old. I clean them every so often with windex, nothing wrong with paint and it don’t come off on rag only grime. Maybe it the paint on gutter’s on newer houses?
Old 12-21-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
I do not have any suggestions for you but I do have a question about gutter material. In NY we have copper gutters. When installed they are bright copper that develops a patina over time and turns a green color that somehow goes with any color home & does not need paint. Would copper work in FL?
Copper? Got idea how much that would cost today?
Old 12-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Default Its in the prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have done research on painting gutters, ours are chalking. I have found several resources on internet sites, and also discussed with Sherwin Williams paints, so I understand the requirements for a good paint job.

My question is: has anyone had this done successfully, specifically the painting was done a few years ago and still looks good? If so, can you recommend the company that did the work? I am debating this as a DIY versus contractor.

Thank you, VT
I have been painting soffit, fascia and gutters successfully for 40 yr.
Prep is key. Finish is any good ext. 100% acryllic paint. Preferably a semigloss .It sheds water and cleans better.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Right now, I am looking into automotive paints, as a large number of the newer cars have aluminum panels. As noted above I need to properly prep the surface, and if I go with aotomotive paints, all the supplies are available in spray cans or in a form that can be sprayed.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:36 PM

If you are looking at automotive paints be sure to read all safety labels. Some require a continuously supplied fresh air breathing system with proper fume collection.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Wisdom is more precious than pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
If it was me and they looked bad, I'd just replace them. Just to purchase the chemicals and materials to remove the chalk, primer and paint would be a few hundred dollars. Then how many hours would you spend doing the work and on a ladder. And if you paid someone to do it, how much would that cost? How long before you would need to do it again? What if the paint peels instead of chalks next year or so?

Just replace them and be good for the next 10 years or more.
leave tis to a professional painter. Falling of the ladder will set you back many dollars and care.
Closed Thread

Tags
painting, good, gutters, ago, specifically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.