PINK irrigation pipe

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 AM
Default PINK irrigation pipe

I'm deep (literally 2' deep) into my irrigation system overhaul and found a pink zone pipe with a gash in it. I have zero experience with these irrigation specific pipes.

Can I treat it like PVC when it comes to adding (pvc to pink) /gluing (same glue/primer that's used on pvc) sections to it?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

That pipe is from your non potable irrigation system. You can patch it with any pvc and pvc glue.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:56 PM

Super - thanks!
Old 02-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Absolutely correct, not sure if they actually sell pink accessories (connectors, elbows, etc, I would just use the white ones, and the PVC glue.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:19 PM

Yup - exactly what I’m going to do - thanks for the confirmation VT.

The leaking pipe is original to the build of the house (14 years ago). It’s 2’ under the surface trenched with 2 other pipes.

There are no roots in the vicinity of the leak.

It’s a push in hole - not a rupture hole. A hole about the diameter of a dime. There’s long tunnels of sand erosion emanating from the breach.

My only conclusion is this pipe was breached during installation...14 years ago.

By the time I’m finished with my comprehensive deep dive into 12 zones / 60 or so rotators/fixed spray units / 50 mini sprays....I’ll have an accounting of ever ounce of irrigation water.

A ton of work for sure - but worth it in the end.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:15 PM

A bit off subject, but I noticed the different colors of pipe they use for irrigation. Are the colors for specific purposes; supply, feeder, etc? If so, what color for what purpose? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:33 PM

I can’t answer that question. Except that - pink pipes are designated for irrigation use.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
A bit off subject, but I noticed the different colors of pipe they use for irrigation. Are the colors for specific purposes; supply, feeder, etc? If so, what color for what purpose? Thanks.

White

White is the most common PVC pipe color and is commonly seen in plumbing and irrigation. Though it is the most common color for these projects, it is not a requirement to use white PVC pipe for plumbing.
Grey

Grey is the original PVC pipe color. According to the PPFA website, an industrial grey was the earliest PVC pipe color and it is still common. Like white, grey PVC pipe is often used for plumbing.
Green

Green PVC pipe is less common than other colors. While PVC pipe colors are not regulated for specific uses, green PVC pipes are often used specifically for sewage.
Blue

Blue PVC pipe is available for personal purchase and does not have a specific purpose -- it can be used for any PVC pipe need. Some manufacturers color their PVC pipe blue to make it stand out from competitors' products.
Yellow

Yellow, or similar colors such as buff, are not used for any specific purpose. They are available for consumer purchase for any reason.

Pink along with many rainbow of colors usually furniture grade PVC.

As by above consumed for any purpose based on strength and burst pressure. For plumbing you would want schedule 40 or 80 PVC. Which has requirement stamped on PVC piping.

Open this to find burst pressure ratings.

How Strong is PVC Pipe? (With PVC Strength Charts)

Anybody wants to disagree? Argue with Google.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
Yup - exactly what I’m going to do - thanks for the confirmation VT.

The leaking pipe is original to the build of the house (14 years ago). It’s 2’ under the surface trenched with 2 other pipes.

There are no roots in the vicinity of the leak.

It’s a push in hole - not a rupture hole. A hole about the diameter of a dime. There’s long tunnels of sand erosion emanating from the breach.

My only conclusion is this pipe was breached during installation...14 years ago.

By the time I’m finished with my comprehensive deep dive into 12 zones / 60 or so rotators/fixed spray units / 50 mini sprays....I’ll have an accounting of ever ounce of irrigation water.

A ton of work for sure - but worth it in the end.
Wow, that’s a big project. I’m impressed. That should give you a good feeling of accomplishment when finished. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:48 AM

With that hole you probably have sand/soil in the line as well. Be sure to take the spray nozzle off the sprinkler heads then run the system for just a minute to clear them out.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:58 AM

Pink pipes are used for reclaimed water. Treated water but not drinkable.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
I'm deep (literally 2' deep) into my irrigation system overhaul and found a pink zone pipe with a gash in it. I have zero experience with these irrigation specific pipes.

Can I treat it like PVC when it comes to adding (pvc to pink) /gluing (same glue/primer that's used on pvc) sections to it?
Talk to the people at ACE HARDWARE - I would not rely on info from this website!!
Old 02-08-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
White

White is the most common PVC pipe color and is commonly seen in plumbing and irrigation. Though it is the most common color for these projects, it is not a requirement to use white PVC pipe for plumbing.
Grey

Grey is the original PVC pipe color. According to the PPFA website, an industrial grey was the earliest PVC pipe color and it is still common. Like white, grey PVC pipe is often used for plumbing.
Green

Green PVC pipe is less common than other colors. While PVC pipe colors are not regulated for specific uses, green PVC pipes are often used specifically for sewage.
Blue

Blue PVC pipe is available for personal purchase and does not have a specific purpose -- it can be used for any PVC pipe need. Some manufacturers color their PVC pipe blue to make it stand out from competitors' products.
Yellow

Yellow, or similar colors such as buff, are not used for any specific purpose. They are available for consumer purchase for any reason.

Pink along with many rainbow of colors usually furniture grade PVC.

As by above consumed for any purpose based on strength and burst pressure. For plumbing you would want schedule 40 or 80 PVC. Which has requirement stamped on PVC piping.

Open this to find burst pressure ratings.

How Strong is PVC Pipe? (With PVC Strength Charts)

Anybody wants to disagree? Argue with Google.
I'm in...
The lighter Class 200 PVC is fine for irrigation mainlines, class 120 can be used for lateral lines, but I wouldn't recommend it, it's pretty brittle. Schedule 40 is a bit of an overkill, schedule 80 is the thickness of fittings, way overkill.

Green is usually used in agriculture for lower pressure, high volume applications. White should not be exposed to sunlight.

Grey is commonly used for electrical conduit. So cutting into a piece of it is risky!
Old 02-08-2022, 08:43 AM

Yes
Old 02-08-2022, 09:08 AM

The pink pipe is regular schedule 40 PVC. The developer uses that color to specify non-potable water used for irregation. Use the regular white schedule 40 PVC that you can get at Ace or any of the big box stores. I had to repair my system and this is what Ace and my research said. They also sell flexible PVC which is black that you can use off of the main trunk to position a sprinkler head. You will see these short pieces of flexible PVC everywhere in your irregation system.
Closed Thread

Tags
pink, pvc, irrigation, pipe, deep

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.