Pop Up Sprinkler

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Default Pop Up Sprinkler

I need to replace one of my pop up sprinklers. The part on top that adjusts the width of the spray is missing. I think I need to replace the whole thing. Has anybody done this? What is involved. I would like to try to do it myself. Or if that doesn't work out who would be a good contractor to call?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Easy peasy. Go to Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace's. Buy a replacement head (just make sure you get the same type -- full circle, half, quarter; rotary). Dig some of the dirt out so that it doesn't get into the pipe. Take off the old head. Screw on the new head. Check to make sure there's no leaks. Go play.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Bob,
This is very easy. First, make sure your sprinkler system is off. There are a few ways to do this, but the easiest is to just go to your control panel or control box and turn it off. If you are sure that today is a day you will not have your sprinkler system turning on, then you do not need to do this.

Next, get a small hand trowel and dig around the sprinkler. If you have a small green donut around it you can lift it off and set it aside.

Dig down until you see the bottom of the sprinkler head. Below it you should see a PVC elbow that is threaded going into the bottom of the sprinkler head. Dig a little deeper so that is exposed.

Once the dirt is away from the entire sprinkler head, and removing it will not allow dirt to fall into the pipe, unscrew the sprinkler head from the threaded pipe. Before you do this step, first look to see where the sprinkler head is pointing, as you want the new one to point the same way. Sometimes you will have a small nipple attached to the sprinkler head. If that comes off also, that is ok.....basically just replace whatever comes off. These parts are cheap. You can also then cover the pipe so no dirt goes into the pipe.

Take whatever comes off and go to Ace Hardware and tell them you need this. Then just replace.

Now, dependent on weather this is a rotating head or just a pop up sprayer, you may need to adjust the new one so the correct spray pattern, rotation, etc so it matches the other one.

Frank
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

I think most of the heads are Hunter in TV. They are available at John Deere on 301, and a limited selection at Home Depot. The people at John Deere are very helpful.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM

We have replaced several. Very easy. Got some from Lowe's and Home Depot. Follow previous directions.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Here are a couple sites that will help:
Change-
http://www.ehow.com/how_6195291_chan...ler-heads.html

Adjust-
http://www.hunterindustries.com/supp...pinstruct.html
If you want more just google Hunter.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Earl, our lawn person did it with no charge.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks for all the information. Doesn't sound too difficult. I'll pick up the replacements and install them.
Bob
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
I need to replace one of my pop up sprinklers. The part on top that adjusts the width of the spray is missing. I think I need to replace the whole thing. Has anybody done this? What is involved. I would like to try to do it myself. Or if that doesn't work out who would be a good contractor to call?
Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Do it on a nice sunny hot day. When I work on them I get soaked.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Veteran member

An easier way to replace a defective sprinkler is to just buy a new one, turn the top of the new one to pull out the guts of the system and do the same to the old sprinkler in the ground. Take new guts and put it in the old housing in the lawn. This method allows one to change the workings, while not screwing out the entire sprinkler. No digging involved. Takes about 60 seconds to change a head.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
An easier way to replace a defective sprinkler is to just buy a new one, turn the top of the new one to pull out the guts of the system and do the same to the old sprinkler in the ground. Take new guts and put it in the old housing in the lawn. This method allows one to change the workings, while not screwing out the entire sprinkler. No digging involved. Takes about 60 seconds to change a head.
It's more fun to mess them up on a hot sunny day and get wet.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
This is definitely the way to do it if the old housing is not damaged and it seldom is.
Sprinkler heads do not last forever. The seals deteriorate. Lawn mowers hit them. Edgers tear them up, etc. I also think there is some little demon that prowls around at night messing up the adjustments.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.