Popcorn Ceilings Solution

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 08:27 AM

What is the issue with popcorn ceilings? Is it strictly a matter of personal taste, or is there a problem associated with popcorn ceilings? I don't spend much time looking at the ceilings. It makes no difference to me one way or the other, so I wonder if I'm missing something. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

This is GREAT info! I am very interested because my whole house has popcorn and my father's CYV is entirely popcorn and I want to get rid of it. I'd like to do it myself. It sounds like you found a solution. Did you just do one room? Trying to get an idea of how much labour and time for a whole house.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Don't forget the #1 reason ceilings are pop corn when they tape the joints and screws they use only 2 coats of mud a good tape job has min of 3
Pop corn covers a lot of short cuts .You may need to apply a finish coat if your plans are to have smooth ceiling
Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 AM
Default Update and photos of ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
The going rate is now $2 a sq ft her quote was not bad. Would love to see a picture.
I did the entire home, process was very messy but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_152054.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	85321   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_152103.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	85322  
Old 07-19-2020, 02:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
What is the issue with popcorn ceilings? Is it strictly a matter of personal taste, or is there a problem associated with popcorn ceilings? I don't spend much time looking at the ceilings. It makes no difference to me one way or the other, so I wonder if I'm missing something. Thanks!
I am no expert, though I play one on TV. I think it is simply a matter of taste and changing norms. In the sixties popcorn ceilings were very hip, but like paneling, linoleum, avocado appliances, pink bathroom fixtures, Formica, etc. it is not considered “in style” today. Thanks to DIY and HGTV, everyone wants the open concept, with granite or quartz, stainless appliances, and room for a pool. The popcorn ceiling will not make your life better or worse unless the eye rolls of your guests bother you.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I am no expert, though I play one on TV. I think it is simply a matter of taste and changing norms. In the sixties popcorn ceilings were very hip, but like paneling, linoleum, avocado appliances, pink bathroom fixtures, Formica, etc. it is not considered “in style” today. Thanks to DIY and HGTV, everyone wants the open concept, with granite or quartz, stainless appliances, and room for a pool. The popcorn ceiling will not make your life better or worse unless the eye rolls of your guests bother you.
I sure wants been around will come back around.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
I agree, who steers at the ceilings, other than in the bed room. I had water spots for gigantic hail storm. After I put on metal roof ( in Okieland you want metal roof ) I just repainted it. Done.
Closed Thread

Tags
popcorn, hours, paint, work, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.