Pressure Washer PSI

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass View Post
In purchasing a pressure washer what PSI would I need to do a decent job for the outside of my vinyl sided house and driveway? Thanks in advance.

I would be more concerned which nozzle spray pattern you use. IMO anything below 25 degree spray pattern and depending on how close you have the nozzle may do damage. IMO any pressure above 1700 psi will work depend on what chemical you use.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We bought electric power washers from Costco twice and had to take both back. They were only used once or twice before the hose broke and could not be replaced. And they were underpowered.

Our gas powered washer is more powerful and reliable. It comes with several nozzles designed for different uses. It has the power to blast the dirt off of concrete and can be set to wash your car or your siding.
Each have there pros and cons. I have electric that 10 years old. But I make sure water flowing before I power it up and I drain it after use.

Gas is great as long as owner knows how to maintain it. You never start the engine without water flowing through the pump, don’t take long for pump to over heat and burn out. With both types you want to hook up the water line turn water on and let all the air and water flow though pump. Then connect the wand control handle to hose. That way you have all the air out and water flow through pump.

Most owners kill there pressure washer within few months not following instructions.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-30-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohns View Post
Just purchased a 3000 psi, it came with a surface cleaner. The surface cleaner was amazing for the sidewalk and driveway. I found it takes a strong spray to get the algae and mold off the house. We also have a white fenced in back yard. I wouldn't buy anything less then a 3000 psi, or you'll be frustrated and it will take forever !

Depends on spray nozzle pattern you us. If you use 15 degree or less and hold it too close it may damage surfaces.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I use a lower PSI (1700) but I use a good quality prewash and this works very well. While I have no personal experience, I have heard stories of high pressure units actually damaging vinyl siding.
Due to operator error.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Thanked 1,115 Times in 245 Posts
Default Don't get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass View Post
In purchasing a pressure washer what PSI would I need to do a decent job for the outside of my vinyl sided house and driveway? Thanks in advance.
I have a gas powered Honda pressure washer but only use it for my concrete driveway once a year. It will clean my vinyl siding but forces water underneath the siding. On painted surfaces it removed the paint. And you will get wet and tired dragging the thing around with you.

Get a soft bristle brush with a long handle, some warm water with Dawn dish soap and your garden hose. It safely cleans my house without any damage and actually does a better job than the power washer. I would never buy another power washer again.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 AM

I have had several over the years. I had an 1800 electric for a long time then 3200 gas. I bought a 4500 gas 2 years ago and love it. Too much pressure? Hold the nozzle a few inches away. Not enough pressure? Not yet. Even 4500 can take a bit for a driveway but I added a turbo nozzle. A whole array of nozzles came with the washer but not the turbo. The green crap literally disappears with it. I love it. Over kill you say maybe? It was very little more money and a lot more washer. It is a Simpson and I get an extra 10 percent off at Lowes and Home Depot. It made it something like high 600s and you will pay high 300s for almost any gas powered. Overkill and common sense make a great pair if you have some work for it. Do the neighbors also as it doesn't take much time.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway Cruises View Post
I just researched greatly before buying as I have a large brick paved area and walls etc to clean. You need a gas pressure washer that is 2,900 - 3,300 psi range for sure. All pressure washers come with varying nozzles depending on what you are cleaning, so not to damage areas like fencing as opposed to stonework. The round surface cleaner is a must addition for large areas. Plenty of video 'experts' to see on YouTube.The Best Pressure Washing Videos of 2018 - YouTube
You need to include that you keep the nozzle an appropriate distance off the surface to prevent damage.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My CYV will be 10 years old in May and for most of that time I've borrowed a neighbor's pressure washer about every 3 years to do my driveway, back and side patios. The neighbor is a great guy and let's everybody on the block use his washer. It's used at least 10 times a year and he's never any problems with it not working or starting every time.

It's Sears model but it has a Honda gas engine. Last summer I decided to get my own, I like to do it yearly since the concrete gets black so quickly and I would feel guilty asking my neighbor that often even though he said no problem, just buy the gas.

I studied Lowe's, Home Depot, Rural King, Harbor Freight, Amazon and Walmart websites reading at least a hundred reviews of power washers. I was leaning toward a Honda engine since my neighbor's has worked so flawless so many times and the biggest complaint on most gas washers is they won't start, only started first time out, or something involving the motor.

My neighbor bought one of those buffer heads a couple of years ago, and for doing big areas it's a life saver. You don't miss any spots like can with a wand, sometimes you don't see the spots missed until the water dries. The buffer head also cuts the speed of the job at least in half, so that was an option I definitely wanted.

After all that research I came up the Ryobi 3000 PSI 2.3-GPM Honda Gas Pressure Washer at Home Depot for $369. I wanted not to go over $300 but this one had great reviews, had the exact same Honda engine as my neighbor's and is 3000 psi. Also they had a matching buffer head for $69 and it's worth every penny. Another feature, my neighbor's unit has a bunch of different sprayer heads for the wands and they were getting misplaced or lost. This unit comes with a single variable 5 selector sprayer head that's right on the wand all the time, you won't lose it and it switches to another setting in a second. So you want a wider path for vinyl siding choose the 40 degree, it's there, a pin point spot for a hard to clean area, it's there as well as soap and a couple of others. Another feature is the 35' hose, most pressure washers and almost all electric models come with only a 25' hose. This makes the need for stopping and moving the unit less necessary and you can work further from the unit.

The Lady Lake HD has 8 in stock at this very moment. They do sell a combo of the washer and buffer for $429 but you would have to order it, they don't stock the combo. The buffer head they have 24 in stock at Lady Lake. However, if you're a veteran, just ask do you match Lowe's 10% veteran discount and I got off over $50 with a military ID card.

Ryobi Pressure Washer Home Depot

The Villages Florida

The 35' hose is great when using the buffer style sprayer head

The Villages Florida

For vinyl siding use the 40 degree spray, for tougher jobs use 25 or 0 and you can select soap as well

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 01-30-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:54 AM

I agree with hiring someone. Not worth the expense of buying a pressure washer and cleaner and then having to store and maintain it.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Whatever you do, hold your sprayer in a downward position never point sprayer up to get water under the siding you could tear your siding off our get water under the siding to get wood wet. 1700 psi is plenty big enough for washing siding & most anything else you do around your home. Anything higher & if you’re not experienced enough you’re asking for trouble. If you don’t believe me, take the 1700 psi sprayer & put it in a solid stream & real fast run it across your skin, it’ll cut you like a razor. You think I’m bluffing, try it!
Old 01-30-2021, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJ View Post
I agree with hiring someone. Not worth the expense of buying a pressure washer and cleaner and then having to store and maintain it.
You’re right Ronald, this washer is an overkill, beside I thought this article was talking about washing siding. This washer would rip the siding off your house & possibly damage a stucco home. Nice washer though!
Old 01-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Whatever you do, hold your sprayer in a downward position never point sprayer up to get water under the siding you could tear your siding off our get water under the siding to get wood wet. 1700 psi is plenty big enough for washing siding & most anything else you do around your home. Anything higher & if you’re not experienced enough you’re asking for trouble. If you don’t believe me, take the 1700 psi sprayer & put it in a solid stream & real fast run it across your skin, it’ll cut you like a razor. You think I’m bluffing, try it!
Well, I wouldn’t use my skin as test, other than that I agree
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You’re right Ronald, this washer is an overkill, beside I thought this article was talking about washing siding. This washer would rip the siding off your house & possibly damage a stucco home. Nice washer though!
In hands of novice.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:08 PM

I have done a lot of power washing and own a gas 1700-3000 psi and an electric 1700 psi from HF. The higher pressures are not good for siding or stucco, you can easily do damage with too much power. Unless you buy a good concrete cleaning plate you don’t need anymore than 1700 psi. In fact, the last couple of years I didn’t even use a PW to clean houses. Do a prewash of bleach water out of a $20.00 pump up sprayer. Use an 5 gal bucket and an extendable car wash brush with bleach water to brighten up downspouts and fencing. Spray off everything with a good strong hose tip.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Well, I wouldn’t use my skin as test, other than that I agree
No, I wouldn’t & I didn’t use my skin as a test either but you shouldn’t let your wife spray mud off of your sons boots either, LOL.
Closed Thread

Tags
pressure, psi, washer, driveway, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.