Quiet Cool Garage Ceiling Fan

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Default Quiet Cool Garage Ceiling Fan

Been doing alot of research lately on venting hot air out of my garage. Have already added insulation to garage door and ceiling. Also just installed adjustable vents on bottom of overhead door.
Been researching the quiet cool and the G-14 garage ceiling fans.
The Quiet cool has a better warranty.
Has anyone here installed one of these units or knows of someone who has?

Would like to know if there is a noticeable difference in temperature reduction?

Thank's in advance!

Jim...…….
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I have a quiet cool, although an attic vent version of it. Quiet fools use dc motors and clock in at 50 to 100 watts vice the 360 of a standard psc motor driven fan.

While I can't directly answer your question, I am fairly confident that the average reader of this forum has no idea of how much that extra 260 watts cost for as many hours as these run. Based upon cost savings alone I recommend the qc.

It's pretty easy to calculate, basically your saving 3 cents an hour for every hour it runs over a cheap fan.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Sage

Here is my opinion after living here 7 years ...

During the typical summer weather, June through September, these improvements might lower the garage temp from 98 to 94. After all, the ambient temp is typically 90-94.

My point is it's still too hot for me to feel comfortable in my garage.

My opinion is based on having a north-facing garage. You results my be different if your garage faces a different direction. However, it's still 90-94 outside the garage.

You might as well bite the bullet and pop for a mini split air conditioner to cool the garage.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Default Some thoughts

[QUOTE=bigallis1;1562097]Been doing alot of research lately on venting hot air out of my garage. Have already added insulation to garage door and ceiling. Also just installed adjustable vents on bottom of overhead door.
Been researching the quiet cool and the G-14 garage ceiling fans.
The Quiet cool has a better warranty.
Has anyone here installed one of these units or knows of someone who has?

Would like to know if there is a noticeable difference in temperature reduction?

Thank's in advance!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Garage door vents-my experience selling fans to cool and get rid of odors in photographic darkrooms. Installing a vent in your garage is like sucking air out of a coke bottle.
Air needs to get in AND GET OUT to have a flow. IF, you have a window in your garage and your garage is hotter than the outside,a window fan, inexpensive to buy and to run will get you the airflow that you seek. Beware of not creating a situation where you will be fanning any potential
fire-TURN IT ON AND OFF ONLY WHEN YOU ARE USING THE GARAGE FOR YOUR????? HOBBY OR.

Hot air rises cold air falls. Insulation slows the flow of heat in both directions. Insulating your garage floor will slow heat from your garage entering your home. If, it blocks any heat from your garage it will block attic heat to a limited degree. Heat does flow to a cooler area but it also flows up so the cooling effect in your garage is ????????

You did not say what you wish to use your garage for.
You may need to be concerned with possible explosions.
Personal experience-not here. I used to regularly talk to a neighbor who was restoring a gorgeous antique Jaguar about 1950ish. He like many of us put in a SELF DESIGNED heating system. Long story short-he blew up his garage and part of his home. HE WAS FOUND DEAD UNDER THE NOW DESTROYED FORMERLY GORGEOUS ANTIQUE JAG.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I worked at this problem and found what seems to be a decent solution. Although the best solution would be a mini-split. I recorded my garage temp over a 2 week time period. I insulated the doors, North facing, insulated the ceiling, and installed two regular ceiling fans. In the early AM I open the doors and turn on the two ceiling fans for about 20 minutes. Trying to move hot air out and cooler morning air in. I then close them and turn off the fans.

I consistently maintain about 10 degrees cooler in the garage then before doing any of these add on's. I have a large 3 car garage that is over 1000 square feet. My total cost to do these changes was under $800. Fans were used so mostly for the insulation. But it has helped considerably to maintain a lower inside temperature.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I worked at this problem and found what seems to be a decent solution. Although the best solution would be a mini-split. I recorded my garage temp over a 2 week time period. I insulated the doors, North facing, insulated the ceiling, and installed two regular ceiling fans. In the early AM I open the doors and turn on the two ceiling fans for about 20 minutes. Trying to move hot air out and cooler morning air in. I then close them and turn off the fans.

I consistently maintain about 10 degrees cooler in the garage then before doing any of these add on's. I have a large 3 car garage that is over 1000 square feet. My total cost to do these changes was under $800. Fans were used so mostly for the insulation. But it has helped considerably to maintain a lower inside temperature.
If this approach is for you it's about 70.00 to add a wink hub and an switch or outlet. You could just automate it to come on in the morning. 60 bucks to automate the garage door.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Does it help to open the attic door to have the warm air in the garage rise into the attic? I have a hard door (insulated) and a separate screen door which I use to bring air in. I also have a window and a small fan which I use to try and circulate air. Next week we are having the attic reinsulated to an R38. I can’t add ceiling fans due to the overhead installation to accommodate the screen door. Not looking for a miracle but something to make it a little more bearable during the summer months
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Does it help to open the attic door to have the warm air in the garage rise into the attic? I have a hard door (insulated) and a separate screen door which I use to bring air in. I also have a window and a small fan which I use to try and circulate air. Next week we are having the attic reinsulated to an R38. I can’t add ceiling fans due to the overhead installation to accommodate the screen door. Not looking for a miracle but something to make it a little more bearable during the summer months
A 1000 cfm fan placed in the garage ceiling will exchange all on the air in your garage in 3 1/2 to 10 minutes. That's assuming you have unrestricted flow into the garage and exiting the attic.

A ceiling fan does not directly help although it does make humans feel cooler. An open attic hatch would help but certainly not at the same speed of air exchange.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

In my South facing garage I had a ceiling fan installed, insulated the garage doors, tinted the garage door windows and had insulation blown in over the ceiling. (door insulation and tinting helped the most) Still couldn't tell too much difference and was still HUMID. I sprung for the mini split air conditioner and wish I had done it sooner.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I am more concerned about attic temperature than garage floor, cause I have stuff stored up there. I made plywood plug and cutout for small two bladed fan. At storage level I checked temp and in heat of the day it does lower the temps few degrees. I also have window cracked about foot.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2F45ABAA-C14E-4E21-B851-F2E4BE1CC8E6.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	76608  
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, quiet, ceiling, cool, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.