Recent electrical problems

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts
Default Recent electrical problems

In the past 5 years or so I have twice personally come across electrical problems that were caught before any major damage. In each case the wires were inserted in the back of the device and NOT placed under the screws. In each case these same wired had come loose and were making intermittent contact resulting in blinking lights, etc. The most recent was in the Northern area (just below route 42) section of the villages.

I am sending out this information so if you have conditions of blinking lights, switches or receptacles that make a buzzing or hissing noise when used, or other possible electrical issues, please have this checked by someone familiar with electrical equipment and replaced as necessary.

I have already had first hand experience with IDEAL brand equipment that was recalled and delisted by UL for this exact problem, and I had to replace every switch, and receptacle in the house due to the loose wire condition found 6 faulty devices in about 3 dozen.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

I found couple electrical outlet junction boxes wired wrong using one of these.
https://www.jensentools.com/images/p...02_s500_p1.jpg

Not too big deal, but wired wrong, course I had to correct it.

You can’t put house up that quickly IMO without making some errors?
Old 08-11-2021, 05:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Stripping and pushing the wires in is allowed! Replacing our outlets after almost 20 years of use is a good idea... if Nick Tesla were successful, we wouldn't have outlets
Old 08-11-2021, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In the past 5 years or so I have twice personally come across electrical problems that were caught before any major damage. In each case the wires were inserted in the back of the device and NOT placed under the screws. In each case these same wired had come loose and were making intermittent contact resulting in blinking lights, etc. The most recent was in the Northern area (just below route 42) section of the villages.

I am sending out this information so if you have conditions of blinking lights, switches or receptacles that make a buzzing or hissing noise when used, or other possible electrical issues, please have this checked by someone familiar with electrical equipment and replaced as necessary.

I have already had first hand experience with IDEAL brand equipment that was recalled and delisted by UL for this exact problem, and I had to replace every switch, and receptacle in the house due to the loose wire condition found 6 faulty devices in about 3 dozen.
Good to to have them checked.

Had the same problem on a house up north. Mostly with outlets on exterior walls.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

It's always better to use the screws, rather than the push in connectors. More surface area to make contact...
Old 08-11-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Good to to have them checked.

Had the same problem on a house up north. Mostly with outlets on exterior walls.
Sounds good, but who is going to pay an electrician to remove all push in wire connections from the switches and outlets and reinstall them onto the screws? I think that most electricians use the push in connection method for installing devices in new houses.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

There are different levels of outlets, the better ones will hold the pash in wire.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 PM

There are some YouTube videos on cheap outlets versus quality ones... Better quality and more conductive material.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts

This is good discussion, my point of the original post was just a warning about the push in wiring. Yes I know it is allowed, my point, I have never seen a tightly screwed in connection fail, while I have seen a few of the push in wire connections fail.

There are some handymen that will be able to change the wiring (to screw connection) or replace the switch/receptacle as necessary. I only posted this as some of these components may be approaching end of life.

Tags
electrical, lights, equipment, loose, case

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.