Repair or replacing broken window

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Default Repair or replacing broken window

Looking for advice or suggestions on fixing the outer pane of living room window. Evidently a projectile pentatrated the outer pane only. It looks like a bullet hole. Has anyone ever repaired or had replaced the fixed upper section of a single hung window? The procedure used for windshield isn't applicable for homes. Suggestions or contacts would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

IMHO, call home warranty, find out the original manufacturer, and contact them for a repair or replacement. Many of the windows are double pane with a special gas or dry air between the panes, you cannot replace this, so any repair you make will result in condensation. Also, building codes require a minimum strength glass for storms, once again, you will probably not be able to match these.
The projectile was probably thrown from a string trimmer or lawn mower.
Bottom line I would not recommend or attempt a window repair myself.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Had the same thing happen only it was a rock shot out by the neighbor's lawn service mower. Contacted Choice Maintenance and was told to submit an estimate for replacement. Called the warranty dept. and was told the original windows were done by Custom Windows who no longer does that service. They said T & D install windows, so I went with them. Choice Maintenance sent a check immediately after receiving the T& D info. Choice Maintenance is now my lawn cutting service.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

T&D replaced mine caused by my landscaper and his weed wacker. In the neighborhood of $220.00. Took a few weeks for them to get window. Good job. No, I did not make my landscaper pay this time.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, suggestions, outer, pane, section

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.