Replacing seal on thresh hold.

Replacing seal on thresh hold.


» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Replacing seal on thresh hold.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is online now
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,970
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Replacing seal on thresh hold.

The thresh holds are two level as in going from tile (raised) to garage floor (lower). The rubber seal is worn and starting to fray.

I thought it may be as simple as getting a replacement seal.....but now not sure of configuration/size....there are so many.

Replacing the entire thresh hold could be a bit more of a project.

Looking for tips/advice.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain

Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,494
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I would just pull it out and take it to Home Depot. If don't have the same size, go to They sell just about anything. If you can't find a replacement seal, the threshold is not very difficult to replace. There are probably a few screws located under the seal. You just remove the screws and pry up the threshold, and screw another threshold down. You will probably need to trim the aluminum to fit the space.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-12-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There is an outside chance home warranty might have the name of the original manufacturer. If they do, you can contact the manufacturer to see if a replacement part is available. I have seen these both ways, replaceable and non-replaceable. The other option would be to carefully remove the as suggested above, take measurements, and so a search for similar items, and replace the entire unit. NOTE: having just done this the holes on the replacement unit will probably NOT line up with the old unit, so be prepared to drill holes (concrete) insert suitable plugs, and have suitable screws.

Hope this helps.
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 AM
flusher flusher is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: village of Sanibel
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just replaced 2 of mine,went to Lowes and asked for door bottom sweeps, they have the size and colors for doors we have in TV.
Pulled the pins from the hinges, laid the door down, removed the frayed sweep, the new sweep is just pressed on, replace door, done . Usually a 2 man job, when my son-in law was here we did all that and flipped the mattresses.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 AM
mulligan mulligan is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,655
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

The threshold (not a "door sweep") is about 80% probably "Sluter" brand. Almost any floor covering store can supply it. A quick photo will go a long way towards explaining what you want. Also, in that situation asking for a "transition strip " may help get the correct product.
........American by birth....Union by choice
Closed Thread

thresh, seal, replacing, hold, replacement

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.