Screen Cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Default Screen Cleaning

We did not buy an old home, it was built just two years ago, however I have discovered the screens are in need of cleaning (dirt accumulation due to construction and general dust in the air? ).

I used a power washer, but those results were very inconsistent and resulted in a poor job.

THE BEST SOLUTION: soapy water wash with a soft all-purpose sponge and rinse with the hose - NO POWER WASHER NEEDED!!

I have washed both the house screens and the birdcage screen (up to the 8 foot seam). In both cases the soft sponge I was using changed from White Clean to Chocolate Malt color washing each 4 SF area!!

SO MUCH BRIGHTER LOOKING OUTSIDE NOW!!

I am posting this on the DIY area of the forum because:

1) the simple hand wash method has BETTER RESULTS than using a power washer

2) it can be done with just a bucket, sponge, mild soap (dishwashing soap) and a hose - I believe that most people have these.

3) with my hose being just two years old, I believe this is probably needed by all residents

POINTERS:

A) DO NOT press hard on the screens - not only is this NOT NEEDED to clean the screen, but pushing too hard could stretch the screen, causing it to appear loose afterward.

B) Remove the house window screens to clean them. This extra step saves time in the long run and results in a much better result.

C) Use a sponge in your hand, even when reaching above your head. I started by using one of those sponge mops, but I felt it was too easy to press too hard. Let the water run down your arm, but I do not recommend using a “sponge on a stick” (floor mop) unless you are very gentle.

D) rinse with the garden hose and you are done!

PS - I removed and washed BOTH sides of the house screens, but just washed the inside of the birdcage. I found this very acceptable.

This is a good weekend project, taking me two days to do all the house screens and birdcage.

Hope this helps someone
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Tom C, great info for us DIY people.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Dish soap has strong grease cutting chemicals and is harmful to the screen. I would recommend automotive soap that will emulsify the dirt but will not be harmful to the screen. For the same reason, never wash your car with dish soap..
Old 09-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I use the soft brush with my vacuum cleaner. Twice a year. Don't push, just light brush.
Closed Thread

Tags
screens, sponge, hose, screen, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.