Screen Door Screen Question

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Screen Door Screen Question

Not sure if the screen door on our home is the "standard" model (home is about 11 yrs old) that was installed when all the area homes were built (Amilia Vlg) but it has the top half glass which pulls down and is attached to and unrolls a screen just like a window shade would pull down. It's built into the window frame where the window drops down and there seems to be a roller screen on the top. The bottom of the screen is attached to the top of the sliding glass panel. The screen has pretty much disintegrated. Anyone done a DIY replacement on this type of pull down roller screen? Trying to at least find out what they are called so I can try and find/order one. Really don't want to spend big bucks replacing the entire screen door & frame as they aren't cheap.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Todds did a job for me recently. Maybe they can do it for you at a reasonable cost. Give them call.

Home
Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, you can try calling home warranty, in case this is the original door, they should have the info you need.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:33 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Ed, from what you posted, I do not believe this was installed by the builder. What you describe sounds more like a STORM/screen door. I've never seen the builders install a front storm door. The two like you describe either sounds like an Andersen door or a Larson door. I would check the brand and then contact them, or call a good screen person and let them know that this is a roll up screen....I would assume there is a way to replace this screen, but have never had the need to look into it.

Hope that helps. Frank D.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Ed, from what you posted, I do not believe this was installed by the builder. What you describe sounds more like a STORM/screen door. I've never seen the builders install a front storm door. The two like you describe either sounds like an Andersen door or a Larson door. I would check the brand and then contact them, or call a good screen person and let them know that this is a roll up screen....I would assume there is a way to replace this screen, but have never had the need to look into it.

Exactly right. I'm not aware of any builder installed storm door. I have replaced the kind the OP is inquiring about. Check the storm door for the identifying information (usually on a sticker, which will include the brand and model). Most of the bigger name companies will send out replacement parts as part of their warranty.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post

Thanks Frank. Geez when the move these posts out of "general" they end up in a wasteland. LOL. It is a screen door I am referring to. Seems all the homes here have one. I'd bet on Larson actually as they seem to be the most prevalent.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Ed, at the risk of beating a dead horse, and I am not trying to be a pain, but the fact that you say it has a glass top that slides down revealing a roll up screen tells me it is not just a screen door. Any outer door that has glass in it is a storm/screen door. There is a difference. I do not believe, (but I could be wrong), that the builder never installed these. Since the home is now older, it is a moot point.

There should be some markings on it saying if is a Larson door or an Andersen door. Contacting that company or any good screen person should get you the info you need. There should be a way to replace the screen part of the door.

Just a coincidence, but my front porch is screen enclosed with a screen door. The screen was getting old, (about 14 years), and I just replaced the screen yesterday. Took me about 30 minutes.

I looked on YouTube and they do show step by step instructions on replacing these type screens. Looks pretty easy. Hope this helps!

Frank
Old 03-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Bought mine from Lowes. They might be able to help.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Bought mine from Lowes. They might be able to help.
And I bought mine from Home Depot. Sounds like two options for information for the OP.
Closed Thread

Tags
screen, door, window, top, glass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.