Sealing an already painted driveway: DIY, please advise

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Default Sealing an already painted driveway: DIY, please advise

I would like to, as a DIY project, seal an already painted driveway mainly to sustain the integrity of the paint so it does not start to chip and such.
Anyone with experience in 1) how to prep the driveway as I would presume a pressure washer would be too harsh and may damage the paint and 2) recommend a specific sealant for painted driveways. I have seen numerous driveway sealers but none that appear specific to painted driveways. I have attempted to search the above two questions on this site with no luck.
Thank you very much!!!

Last edited by HandyGrandpap; 12-01-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

The professionals spray 2 coats after washing driveway. You can usually tell a DIY by the roller streaks and different thickness when the sun shines on the driveway.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 AM

I painted my sidewalk and Ace Hardware recommended a sealer. No brush stokes and it looks as good as when I first painted it 3 years ago.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,002 Times in 2,199 Posts

I am not sure if all of the sealers are compatible with all of the paints, so if you can determine the original paint used, you should be able to get a suitable sealer. Now one word of caution, be sure to add shark grip or equal traction enhancer or you may end up with a skating rink when your driveway was wet. Our driveway was painted with a Xylene based paint, and had shark grip added as part of the process. It is due to be sealed in about 2 years.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

You can do this pretty easily, because I've done it.

I had my driveway/lanai/patio painted and sealed in 2012 on a new home. Normal sealer lasts about 4 years with a double coating of sealer. My initial contractor only did a single coat, so in 2015, I bought some sealer at Lowes, got a long-handle roller and applied it - two coats this time. I think it looks great and has worn well. I can tell that I'll have to do it again, this year or next. You can do this for less than 1/10th of what you'd be charged, and do a better job. Good luck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/H-C-Concret...-fl-oz/3390426
Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I have done this on a driveway I stained a few years ago. After doing the research, I found that I preferred a Zylene based sealer better than a water based sealer. Others may feel differently.

H&C makes one in a green can. It smells horrible....but that is how you know you have the right type. You are outside so that is good. The latex type does not smell much at all.

As VT wisely stated, be sure to mix one cup of Shark Grip to each gallon and stir every so often to keep it in suspension. I do two coats, rolling one way the first coat and the other way the 2nd coat for even coating.

Of course, be sure to take your car out of the garage first....I give it a couple of days before driving on it.

Frank

Frank
Old 01-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

I have the plain concrete driveway that the builder installed, which looks great to me. If I want to look at a painted driveway, I just look at the next door neighbor's. I hope they keep it sealed properly so I don't have to look at chipped paint.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have the plain concrete driveway that the builder installed, which looks great to me. If I want to look at a painted driveway, I just look at the next door neighbor's. I hope they keep it sealed properly so I don't have to look at chipped paint.
Us too.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,002 Times in 2,199 Posts

Frank is correct, and the paint on our driveway is Xylene based, Frank takes for the tip on the Xylene based sealer, as our driveway will be due for dealing in 2 years.

Tags
driveway, painted, paint, driveways, pressure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.