Shower leaking?

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2022, 08:25 AM
Default Shower leaking?

Hi, I have a patio villa built in 2012. Owned it 2.5 years. Looks like I have a leak from the back of the (standard issue) shower onto the drywall directly next to the shower compartment. Looks like the caulk may have deteriorated. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need a handyman? Thanks.shower-jpg

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-12-2022, 08:47 AM

When I read the title I thought maybe this was going to be a thread about George Costanza.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Hi, I have a patio villa built in 2012. Owned it 2.5 years. Looks like I have a leak from the back of the (standard issue) shower onto the drywall directly next to the shower compartment. Looks like the caulk may have deteriorated. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need a handyman? Thanks.Attachment 95421
IMHO, first you need to determine the location of the 'leak' this may be at the shower head, I have seen this a couple of times where the PVC pipe cracks due to the metal shower pipe being installed too tight. The "drywall' should actually be concrete board or similar water proof or water resistant material, and if any is removed (to find the leak) needs to be replaced with similar material.

If the leak is NOT at the shower head or possible the shower control valve, then you may be able to repair with fresh caulk, but you will need to remove and repair all damage wall material.

So bottom line, if you are not an experienced DIYer, you will probably need to call in some experienced help.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, first you need to determine the location of the 'leak' this may be at the shower head, I have seen this a couple of times where the PVC pipe cracks due to the metal shower pipe being installed too tight. The "drywall' should actually be concrete board or similar water proof or water resistant material, and if any is removed (to find the leak) needs to be replaced with similar material.

If the leak is NOT at the shower head or possible the shower control valve, then you may be able to repair with fresh caulk, but you will need to remove and repair all damage wall material.

So bottom line, if you are not an experienced DIYer, you will probably need to call in some experienced help.
Thanks! Will call someone.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
shower, compartment, caulk, deteriorated, directly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.