Size of bath ceiling exhaust fan duct

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2020, 06:07 PM
Platinum member
Default Size of bath ceiling exhaust fan duct

Has anyone replaced the exhaust fan/light in their bathroom and knows if the duct is 4 or 6 inches?? I am looking at a new fan light heater but the duct size is 6”.

How hard is it to change the duct size?
Old 11-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Need more information. My duct size is 4 inches. But, why would you want to change it to 6 inches? Are you adding a heat lamp? If the new unit is larger than the current unit, I think the 4 inch duct will work fine with a slightly larger exhaust fan.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

You can get an adapter to go from 4" to 6" if that will work for you.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for both replies.

I am replacing the current fan/light with a fan/light and heater. The size I want to buy has a 6 inch duct.

I will research the adaptor.

Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

If you have a newer house, the duct may run just to the soffit. The soffit can typically be removed easily, so in theory you would have access to completely replace the entire duct with only needing to install a new exit port (cover) in the soffit.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:14 PM
Veteran member

We have a Lantana and I want to replace the exhaust fans in two bathrooms. Would our 20 year old home have 4" ducts? Or does the existing fan have to be removed to find out if I need 4 or 6" Thanks in advance (and sorry for hijacking the thread).

kathy
Old 11-18-2020, 06:34 AM

6" is quieter. Get a 6 to 4 inch reducer...should work fine
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We have a Lantana and I want to replace the exhaust fans in two bathrooms. Would our 20 year old home have 4" ducts? Or does the existing fan have to be removed to find out if I need 4 or 6" Thanks in advance (and sorry for hijacking the thread).

kathy
Your ducts would be 4 inches same as the dryer vent.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:46 AM
Default No duct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Has anyone replaced the exhaust fan/light in their bathroom and knows if the duct is 4 or 6 inches?? I am looking at a new fan light heater but the duct size is 6”.

May depend on your style of home. Mine is 4 inches. You can remove the grill and measure. You may not have a duct beyond the fan. For most of the villas the exhaust is to the attic, not to the roof and not ducted to the eaves.. There is no duct. In those cases you can use any size fan you can get in the current opening.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post

Just last week I replaced both of my 3.5 sone NuTone/Broan bathroom exhaust fans (the ones that came with the house) with 0.3 sone Panasonic ultra quiet fans. These exhaust 110 cubic feet per minute, and that is plenty. They are very quiet. I put one on a timer at the wall plate, and that is working well. In the guest bath I installed one that turns on automatically when someone enters the room and has a timer built in and also a humidity control. But so far it hasn’t turned off by itself yet, even when I set the humidity level to 80%. Both of these use 4” ducts, and that is what my house has. I assume that yours does, too. 4” aluminum flexible ducts. Panasonic also makes a slightly more powerful fan, 130 cfm, that has a 6” outlet, though you can attach a step down ring for a 4” ring. That’s more than you need.

Here’s the thing about the duct size. These Panasonic ultra quiet fans, when unattached, make almost no noise at all. When attached to a duct, they make less noise than a NuTune, but you can hear them. What you hear, though, is the noise of the air being forced through the duct. (Similarly, with some table fans, the motors are nearly silent, but the air being moved by the fan blades makes noise.) If you were just blowing air into the attic without a duct (which is not allowed), it would be much quieter. A 6” duct with a fan made for a 6” duct will be quieter than with a 4” duct because the air flow is not as fast. But both will be quieter than a noisy fan. Similarly, an exhaust fan with a light in the middle that sucks through vents along the edges will make more noise than the same vent fan without a light because the larger and more direct grill lets air suck through more easily. I put in exhaust fans without lights, though my original fans had light and dedicated circuits for those lights. (I used those wires to add another light elsewhere in the bathroom.)

As for replacing the 4” vent pipe with a 6” pipe, I wouldn’t bother, though the vent pipe is only 3-5’ long and pretty easy to replace. I definitely think replacing an exhaust fan with the quietest one possible is a good move. The Panasonic fans cost more, but I consider it money well spent. They are excellent. Get the 110 cfm fan and save yourself $50. It really is plenty.

As for doing it yourself, it can be done from below instead of from the attic, but even so, you need to stand on a ladder for a couple hours, have the right tools, cut drywall right over your head, use an electric screwdriver by feel, wire the circuits correctly, tape the vent to the fan body with the right kind of tape while working mostly blind. I did it, but it was hard work. If you haven’t done similar work before, I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve installed a half dozen over the years.

By the way, I’ve just used a decibel meter on my iPad to see how much noise these things make. In my bathrooms, the base reading was 35 decibels, just from environmental noise like air conditioning running in the neighborhood. When I turned on the exhaust fans, that went up to 45 decibels. That may sound loud to you, but with the fans off, the quietest whisper I could make was 55 decibels. So when Panasonic calls these “whisper quiet,” they aren’t joking.

I’ve just reread your question and saw that you are looking for a fan-light-HEATER combination. I don’t think the Panasonic ultra quiet fans with high output are available with a heater built in. You could certainly have a heat lamp installed elsewhere in the ceiling where the powerful fan wouldn’t be exhausting so much of the heat. That would be more effective. I’d recommend having an electrician wire it to a new switch

Last edited by MandoMan; 11-18-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawksin View Post
May depend on your style of home. Mine is 4 inches. You can remove the grill and measure. You may not have a duct beyond the fan. For most of the villas the exhaust is to the attic, not to the roof and not ducted to the eaves.. There is no duct. In those cases you can use any size fan you can get in the current opening.
If the fan exhausts air directly into the attic, it is either a very old house or it was not constructed according to the current building code. An exhaust fan cannot discharge air into the attic space. It must be ducted to the outside.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Default Bath exhaust,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawksin View Post
Not true...I just replaced a soffit cover for my neighbors bath cover which had cracked and had blown off. The size is 4" and it was quite a job taking of the base plate for this soffit outlet. Not impossible, but not as effortless as some would suggest. We live in a CYV and MOST, if not ALL bath and laundry exhausts are vented to the soffits.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Just last week I replaced both of my 3.5 sone NuTone/Broan bathroom exhaust fans (the ones that came with the house) with 0.3 sone Panasonic ultra quiet fans. These exhaust 110 cubic feet per minute, and that is plenty. They are very quiet. I put one on a timer at the wall plate, and that is working well. In the guest bath I installed one that turns on automatically when someone enters the room and has a timer built in and also a humidity control. But so far it hasn’t turned off by itself yet, even when I set the humidity level to 80%. Both of these use 4” ducts, and that is what my house has. I assume that yours does, too. 4” aluminum flexible ducts. Panasonic also makes a slightly more powerful fan, 130 cfm, that has a 6” outlet, though you can attach a step down ring for a 4” ring. That’s more than you need.

Here’s the thing about the duct size. These Panasonic ultra quiet fans, when unattached, make almost no noise at all. When attached to a duct, they make less noise than a NuTune, but you can hear them. What you hear, though, is the noise of the air being forced through the duct. (Similarly, with some table fans, the motors are nearly silent, but the air being moved by the fan blades makes noise.) If you were just blowing air into the attic without a duct (which is not allowed), it would be much quieter. A 6” duct with a fan made for a 6” duct will be quieter than with a 4” duct because the air flow is not as fast. But both will be quieter than a noisy fan. Similarly, an exhaust fan with a light in the middle that sucks through vents along the edges will make more noise than the same vent fan without a light because the larger and more direct grill lets air suck through more easily. I put in exhaust fans without lights, though my original fans had light and dedicated circuits for those lights. (I used those wires to add another light elsewhere in the bathroom.)

As for replacing the 4” vent pipe with a 6” pipe, I wouldn’t bother, though the vent pipe is only 3-5’ long and pretty easy to replace. I definitely think replacing an exhaust fan with the quietest one possible is a good move. The Panasonic fans cost more, but I consider it money well spent. They are excellent. Get the 110 cfm fan and save yourself $50. It really is plenty.

As for doing it yourself, it can be done from below instead of from the attic, but even so, you need to stand on a ladder for a couple hours, have the right tools, cut drywall right over your head, use an electric screwdriver by feel, wire the circuits correctly, tape the vent to the fan body with the right kind of tape while working mostly blind. I did it, but it was hard work. If you haven’t done similar work before, I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve installed a half dozen over the years.

By the way, I’ve just used a decibel meter on my iPad to see how much noise these things make. In my bathrooms, the base reading was 35 decibels, just from environmental noise like air conditioning running in the neighborhood. When I turned on the exhaust fans, that went up to 45 decibels. That may sound loud to you, but with the fans off, the quietest whisper I could make was 55 decibels. So when Panasonic calls these “whisper quiet,” they aren’t joking.

I’ve just reread your question and saw that you are looking for a fan-light-HEATER combination. I don’t think the Panasonic ultra quiet fans with high output are available with a heater built in. You could certainly have a heat lamp installed elsewhere in the ceiling where the powerful fan wouldn’t be exhausting so much of the heat. That would be more effective. I’d recommend having an electrician wire it to a new switch
We are new to the Villages and brought a 4 year old home, we called Munns since they originally installs the HVAC. My husband inquired if they could install a better exhaust fan in our Master Bathroom, totally silence, then told my husband that they don't make changes to the original exhaust fans on Villages homes? My husband asked if they were owned by the Villages and they quickly replied no they were family owned. Is that common for a vendor not want to introduce after market products to The Villages homes?
Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If the fan exhausts air directly into the attic, it is either a very old house or it was not constructed according to the current building code. An exhaust fan cannot discharge air into the attic space. It must be ducted to the outside.
Mine vented into the eaves. That seems to be standard practice. It works fine. You are right that venting into the attic is not according to code.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Ducting out of the attic for my villa built in 2014 is NOT required according to the Villages Design Department.
Closed Thread

Tags
duct, size, exhaust, fan, heater

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.