Smoke detector batteries

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Default Smoke detector batteries

We have builder installed First Alert smoke detectors. They are four years old and I had just replaced the batteries two months ago with Duracell alkaline batteries. Yes, we do replace them every year.

In only two months one unit was sending out chirps in groups of three so I knew it was screaming for batteries. I put in another battery from the same pack of ten that I had bought only two months ago and it was still chirping for new batteries. Annoyed, I removed the battery planing on dealing with it the next day Now it was chirping once every few minutes.

The lesson, the solution, taking the battery out does not shut the ........thing up. They are hardwired. The battery is a backup. You need to push the test button and hold it down to reset it. Interesting, if you look it up on the internet it says you need to shut off the circuit breaker. I did not need to do that.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 PM

Also, smoke/carbon detectors which are also installed (two) will only last about six years. If they beep and you replace the batteries and they still beep you will probably have to replace them. Smoke detectors will last for years. Carbon monoxide/smoke detectors will not.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Also, smoke/carbon detectors which are also installed (two) will only last about six years. If they beep and you replace the batteries and they still beep you will probably have to replace them. Smoke detectors will last for years. Carbon monoxide/smoke detectors will not.
Very true
I already had to replace 2 of my 6 detectors in my 2011 Gardenia
Amazon sells them
Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

I contacted the company there was an issue with the smoke detectors that we had and recall. They replaced all of our smoke detectors in both houses for free. I had to give them the serial numbers and product was on our front porch within the week.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I contacted the company there was an issue with the smoke detectors that we had and recall. They replaced all of our smoke detectors in both houses for free. I had to give them the serial numbers and product was on our front porch within the week.
Now I hear this! I tore all of ours out and replaced them with a different brand. I added lithium batteries. No batteries need for ten years. Problem solved!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Ace Hardware has these combination alarms for around $45 each.

Last edited by bagboy; 10-17-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

The 3 beeps was probably coming from the dual detector and tells you to replace the detector. The reset process you did will shut up the alarm for about 2 weeks then it will beep again. After 2 resets it will no longer reset and will not shut up unless you unplug it and remove the battery.

When it is the battery it will just issue a single beep at a regular interval.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Smoke

[QUOTE=suesiegel;1462470]We have builder installed First Alert smoke detectors. They are four years old and I had just replaced the batteries two months ago with Duracell alkaline batteries. Yes, we do replace them every year.

In only two months one unit was sending out chirps in groups of three so I knew it was screaming for batteries

In any case, if they are defective, the village Fire Dept will send a person out, no charge to replace them. The new ones at the stores do come with new batteries installed. . Be sure to have them before the FD comes out.
They do a good job and it keeps you off of a ladder for sure.
bbbbbb
Old 10-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

In 11 years I have replaced all of my smoke detectors twice and my Carbon detector three times.

I intend to replace them again when I ave to replace the batteries this spring.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Another poster mentioned the carbon monoxide ones do not last as long. After only one day, it this morning it is chirping again same unit-only when it thinks I'm not looking.

We have 6 detectors, 10 foot ceilings and as stated previously they are hard wired as well as the battery back up. Great fun if I need to take down the five to get the serial numbers.

I do wonder why we have 6 detectors AND there are none in the garage-the place most likely to catch fire.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
The 3 beeps was probably coming from the dual detector and tells you to replace the detector. The reset process you did will shut up the alarm for about 2 weeks then it will beep again. After 2 resets it will no longer reset and will not shut up unless you unplug it and remove the battery.

When it is the battery it will just issue a single beep at a regular interval.
Another post says to call the fire department. I was aware that they do replace batteries or rather install batteries that you have purchased. BUT, I really did not want to bother them with this.

Another poster said they will actually replace defective units and another poster says the dual ones smoke and carbon monoxide cost $40 plus at ace.

Another poster says there were/are defective First Alert detectors installed by the Villages and that First Alert will send replacements at N/c against serial numbers.

Plan-I will call the fire dept and see what they have to say.
So far, I've not really looked at it while I was fully awake.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I was regularly getting three beeps on a carbon dioxide detector.
It was bothering the dogs and Fireboy wasn't home to deal with it.
So I took it out and locked it in my car. Yes, we could have been killed by fumes, but the irritation disappeared.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Another poster mentioned the carbon monoxide ones do not last as long. After only one day, it this morning it is chirping again same unit-only when it thinks I'm not looking.

We have 6 detectors, 10 foot ceilings and as stated previously they are hard wired as well as the battery back up. Great fun if I need to take down the five to get the serial numbers.

I do wonder why we have 6 detectors AND there are none in the garage-the place most likely to catch fire.
Smoke detectors are not designed for, nor should they be used in a garage. If you are concerned about a fire in your garage, consider adding a heat alarm in your garage.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Sage

The builder units seem to fail after a few years and need to be replaced
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Another post says to call the fire department. I was aware that they do replace batteries or rather install batteries that you have purchased. BUT, I really did not want to bother them with this.

Another poster said they will actually replace defective units and another poster says the dual ones smoke and carbon monoxide cost $40 plus at ace.

Another poster says there were/are defective First Alert detectors installed by the Villages and that First Alert will send replacements at N/c against serial numbers.

Plan-I will call the fire dept and see what they have to say.
So far, I've not really looked at it while I was fully awake.
There are people whose job it is to do the battery replacement during regular hours do not call 911 for this.
You have to supply the batteries or the detectors if they are bad and they will install them for you. They recommend you change the batteries every year I believe that is over kill.

My main point here is that 3 beeps is a bad detector and single beeps are for failing batteries so you know what to have when they come out.
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, battery, months, smoke, chirping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.