Smoke detector batteries

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Smoke detectors are not designed for, nor should they be used in a garage. If you are concerned about a fire in your garage, consider adding a heat alarm in your garage.
We had a serious garage fire last January. I wish we'd had a heat alarm or smoke detector in the garage!
It might have saved our household furniture from extensive smoke damage.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Good rule of thumb. Change your smoke detector batteries in October which is Fire Prevention month. Once a year is good and it's not going to break the bank. As for detectors they don't last forever. I also have 2 in my garage. 1 smoke and 1 combo again small price to pay. I also had a second system installed that alerts me by phone IF there is a fire or smoke condition in my home.
The Villages Fire Department DOES NOT want you changing your batteries they WILL come out and do that for and and check your detectors at the same time. There phone # is 352-205-8280. That is the NON EMERGENCY #
Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Gold member
Default A bit of reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Another poster mentioned the carbon monoxide ones do not last as long. After only one day, it this morning it is chirping again same unit-only when it thinks I'm not looking.

We have 6 detectors, 10 foot ceilings and as stated previously they are hard wired as well as the battery back up. Great fun if I need to take down the five to get the serial numbers.

I do wonder why we have 6 detectors AND there are none in the garage-the place most likely to catch fire.
I was the original poster:
According to what I've read and posts from fellow villagers, the carbon monoxide sensors do not last as long as smoke detectors. It seems the carbon monoxide has a clock built in. It is not sensing failure but time that has passed. The time starts running when you install the battery.

Our unit is a FIRST ALERT SC9120B and we replaced it with the current model which we purchased at ACE roughly 37.00-it is marked with a 7 year warranty. We chose to replace with the same brand so we did not need to replace the mount already screwed to the wall.

The old defective unit is a simple twist lock to remove. The new unit comes with the necessary connector. Rather than messing with wire nuts, part of the reason we decide to buy the same brand was so we could use the existing connector. The plug is very tight. Make sure you have the pins properly aligned before you force anything.

TIME-took longer to dig my ladder out of the garage then to actually install it.

Last edited by autumnspring; 11-26-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Another poster mentioned the carbon monoxide ones do not last as long. After only one day, it this morning it is chirping again same unit-only when it thinks I'm not looking.

We have 6 detectors, 10 foot ceilings and as stated previously they are hard wired as well as the battery back up. Great fun if I need to take down the five to get the serial numbers.

I do wonder why we have 6 detectors AND there are none in the garage-the place most likely to catch fire.
We have ten foot plus ceiling also. One way or another they will have to be replaced. We have a 10 foot ladder. I did it my self. Saved me $380. Company was very easy to deal with

Tags
batteries, battery, months, smoke, chirping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.